May 18, 2011, 2:48 PM EDT
If I were an NHL general manager, tournaments like the 2011 World Championships would leave me horrified. It’s bad enough that your team doesn’t receive a penny from your players’ work, but there’s also the undeniable possibility that one of your guys might get injured. A savvy GM won’t stand in a player’s way of competing for his country, but that same general manager probably wishes he could.
The New York Islanders announced that goalie Al Montoya had successful surgery on a torn meniscus in his left knee suffering during the World Championships. They also report that he should be 100 percent by training camp.
In some ways, Montoya has been a bit of a disappointment as the sixth overall pick from the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. That being said, he actually put up pretty good numbers in his scant NHL opportunities. His biggest chances came during the 2010-11 season once he was traded from the Phoenix Coyotes organization to the Islanders. Montoya went 9-5-5 with a very nice 92.1 save percentage, 2.39 GAA and one shutout.
He received a one-year contract worth about $601 K for the 2011-12 season, so getting healthy by training camp is important for both Montoya and the Isles.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)