May 18, 2011, 2:48 PM EDT
If I were an NHL general manager, tournaments like the 2011 World Championships would leave me horrified. It’s bad enough that your team doesn’t receive a penny from your players’ work, but there’s also the undeniable possibility that one of your guys might get injured. A savvy GM won’t stand in a player’s way of competing for his country, but that same general manager probably wishes he could.
The New York Islanders announced that goalie Al Montoya had successful surgery on a torn meniscus in his left knee suffering during the World Championships. They also report that he should be 100 percent by training camp.
In some ways, Montoya has been a bit of a disappointment as the sixth overall pick from the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. That being said, he actually put up pretty good numbers in his scant NHL opportunities. His biggest chances came during the 2010-11 season once he was traded from the Phoenix Coyotes organization to the Islanders. Montoya went 9-5-5 with a very nice 92.1 save percentage, 2.39 GAA and one shutout.
He received a one-year contract worth about $601 K for the 2011-12 season, so getting healthy by training camp is important for both Montoya and the Isles.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)