May 18, 2011, 2:48 PM EDT
If I were an NHL general manager, tournaments like the 2011 World Championships would leave me horrified. It’s bad enough that your team doesn’t receive a penny from your players’ work, but there’s also the undeniable possibility that one of your guys might get injured. A savvy GM won’t stand in a player’s way of competing for his country, but that same general manager probably wishes he could.
The New York Islanders announced that goalie Al Montoya had successful surgery on a torn meniscus in his left knee suffering during the World Championships. They also report that he should be 100 percent by training camp.
In some ways, Montoya has been a bit of a disappointment as the sixth overall pick from the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. That being said, he actually put up pretty good numbers in his scant NHL opportunities. His biggest chances came during the 2010-11 season once he was traded from the Phoenix Coyotes organization to the Islanders. Montoya went 9-5-5 with a very nice 92.1 save percentage, 2.39 GAA and one shutout.
He received a one-year contract worth about $601 K for the 2011-12 season, so getting healthy by training camp is important for both Montoya and the Isles.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)