May 18, 2011, 2:48 PM EDT
If I were an NHL general manager, tournaments like the 2011 World Championships would leave me horrified. It’s bad enough that your team doesn’t receive a penny from your players’ work, but there’s also the undeniable possibility that one of your guys might get injured. A savvy GM won’t stand in a player’s way of competing for his country, but that same general manager probably wishes he could.
The New York Islanders announced that goalie Al Montoya had successful surgery on a torn meniscus in his left knee suffering during the World Championships. They also report that he should be 100 percent by training camp.
In some ways, Montoya has been a bit of a disappointment as the sixth overall pick from the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. That being said, he actually put up pretty good numbers in his scant NHL opportunities. His biggest chances came during the 2010-11 season once he was traded from the Phoenix Coyotes organization to the Islanders. Montoya went 9-5-5 with a very nice 92.1 save percentage, 2.39 GAA and one shutout.
He received a one-year contract worth about $601 K for the 2011-12 season, so getting healthy by training camp is important for both Montoya and the Isles.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)