May 18, 2011, 2:48 PM EDT
If I were an NHL general manager, tournaments like the 2011 World Championships would leave me horrified. It’s bad enough that your team doesn’t receive a penny from your players’ work, but there’s also the undeniable possibility that one of your guys might get injured. A savvy GM won’t stand in a player’s way of competing for his country, but that same general manager probably wishes he could.
The New York Islanders announced that goalie Al Montoya had successful surgery on a torn meniscus in his left knee suffering during the World Championships. They also report that he should be 100 percent by training camp.
In some ways, Montoya has been a bit of a disappointment as the sixth overall pick from the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. That being said, he actually put up pretty good numbers in his scant NHL opportunities. His biggest chances came during the 2010-11 season once he was traded from the Phoenix Coyotes organization to the Islanders. Montoya went 9-5-5 with a very nice 92.1 save percentage, 2.39 GAA and one shutout.
He received a one-year contract worth about $601 K for the 2011-12 season, so getting healthy by training camp is important for both Montoya and the Isles.
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 0
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)