Your video moment of zen: Finnish coach Pasi Nurminen takes a header and dents World Championship trophy
May 17, 2011, 12:36 AM EST
Never let it be said that Finns don’t know how to party.
Earlier today we shared the story of how wild Finland celebrated their 2011 IIHF World Championship gold medal victory over neighboring rival Sweden. As it turns out, the players and even coaches all celebrate just as hard. Or at least we have to assume they do.
Thanks to Sportsnet’s Mark Spector for sharing this video link on Twitter we find out that Finnish coach and former Thrashers goaltender Pasi Nurminen can do a killer impression of former President Gerald Ford.
Nurminen was headed down the steps getting off the team airplane after arriving from Slovakia and took a tumble not unlike those we’ve seen outside of the local watering hole at closing time.
Well that’s just embarrassing. What’s more embarrassing still is that the fall was apparently hard enough to put a dent into the championship trophy as Nurminen fell head first into it. This video gives away the mystery.
We’ve always been a bit partial to Finland when not rooting for Team USA here at PHT, but all this tells us is that if there’s a party to be had that we’ve got to go to Finland to find it.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 1
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 29
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 14
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 76
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)