May 17, 2011, 8:04 PM EDT
There was a surprising amount of mystery surrounding Patrice Bergeron’s Game 2 status, but it looks like logic prevailed. The two-way center won’t play tonight, which is probably the best move considering the fact that he’s dealing with a mild concussion.
Obviously, the Boston Bruins would love to have a healthy Bergeron in the lineup. The Tampa Bay Lightning’s speed and skill will cause them even more trouble without their leading playoff scorer and strong defensive center in the lineup. Still, with his history of head issues, the team shouldn’t rush him back into the lineup. Even if they’re in a dire situation.
Naturally, we’ll keep you informed as the series goes on. Some estimates had him possibly returning by Game 5 (if necessary), but we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.
You can watch how Boston operates without Bergeron in Game 2 on Versus, which will begin shortly.
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 52
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)