May 17, 2011, 8:04 PM EDT
There was a surprising amount of mystery surrounding Patrice Bergeron’s Game 2 status, but it looks like logic prevailed. The two-way center won’t play tonight, which is probably the best move considering the fact that he’s dealing with a mild concussion.
Obviously, the Boston Bruins would love to have a healthy Bergeron in the lineup. The Tampa Bay Lightning’s speed and skill will cause them even more trouble without their leading playoff scorer and strong defensive center in the lineup. Still, with his history of head issues, the team shouldn’t rush him back into the lineup. Even if they’re in a dire situation.
Naturally, we’ll keep you informed as the series goes on. Some estimates had him possibly returning by Game 5 (if necessary), but we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.
You can watch how Boston operates without Bergeron in Game 2 on Versus, which will begin shortly.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39