May 17, 2011, 8:04 PM EDT
There was a surprising amount of mystery surrounding Patrice Bergeron’s Game 2 status, but it looks like logic prevailed. The two-way center won’t play tonight, which is probably the best move considering the fact that he’s dealing with a mild concussion.
Obviously, the Boston Bruins would love to have a healthy Bergeron in the lineup. The Tampa Bay Lightning’s speed and skill will cause them even more trouble without their leading playoff scorer and strong defensive center in the lineup. Still, with his history of head issues, the team shouldn’t rush him back into the lineup. Even if they’re in a dire situation.
Naturally, we’ll keep you informed as the series goes on. Some estimates had him possibly returning by Game 5 (if necessary), but we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.
You can watch how Boston operates without Bergeron in Game 2 on Versus, which will begin shortly.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)