May 17, 2011, 8:04 PM EDT
There was a surprising amount of mystery surrounding Patrice Bergeron’s Game 2 status, but it looks like logic prevailed. The two-way center won’t play tonight, which is probably the best move considering the fact that he’s dealing with a mild concussion.
Obviously, the Boston Bruins would love to have a healthy Bergeron in the lineup. The Tampa Bay Lightning’s speed and skill will cause them even more trouble without their leading playoff scorer and strong defensive center in the lineup. Still, with his history of head issues, the team shouldn’t rush him back into the lineup. Even if they’re in a dire situation.
Naturally, we’ll keep you informed as the series goes on. Some estimates had him possibly returning by Game 5 (if necessary), but we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.
You can watch how Boston operates without Bergeron in Game 2 on Versus, which will begin shortly.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 3
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 10
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)