May 16, 2011, 1:11 PM EST
The delusional (but easy) thing to do is to blame the Boston Bruins’ dispiriting 5-2 Game 1 loss on the absence of two-way center Patrice Bergeron. It would require quite the leap to imagine that things would have been different if he brought his faceoff skills and versatility to the table, but there’s little doubt that the team hopes he’ll return as soon as possible. As long as he is ready to go, that is.
He still seems to be at least a few strides from a return, but he took another step in the right direction today. Joe Haggerty reports that Bergeron returned to practice Monday morning, commenting that “all in all [it was] a good step for the center.”
Haggerty reports that Bergeron skated with Rich Peverley and Brad Marchand when he did practice, wearing a white jersey that made it that much clearer he wouldn’t be involved in full contact drills. That was indeed the case, as Bergeron left “before battle drills and work down low took place at the end of the session.”
Many Bruins fans probably hope that he can return by Game 2 Tuesday night, but it might be a bit much to ask that the concussed playmaker will return 11 days after the injury. The Bruins seemed to indicate that he has a way to go, with Claude Julien saying that there “isn’t much to update” regarding Bergeron’s status.
We’ll keep you updated on the status of the team’s leading playoff scorer as he tries to work his way back from that mild concussion. Keep in mind that these situations are often fluid; things look better today, but they can go up or down as he tries to return.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 3
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)