May 16, 2011, 3:23 PM EST
Earlier today, we pointed out that signing Curtis Glencross to a four-year, $10.2 million deal is the type of move made by a full-fledged general manager. As it turns out, one could consider that the first move Jay Feaster made with “interim” removed from his job title.
As many expected, the Calgary Flames officially announced that Feaster will be their general manager going forward.
The Flames seemed genuinely relieved once former GM Darryl Sutter stepped down. They were a fairly miserable 16-18-3 when he resigned but made a strong playoff push once he left. The team didn’t make it to the postseason, but Feaster’s prospects of keeping the job improved greatly thanks to the team’s 25-11-9 mark with him taking over.
That being said, Feaster’s biggest move was probably a non-move. He decided not to trade beloved (but aging and expensive) captain Jarome Iginla. Iginla had another great season in Calgary, putting up 43 goals and 86 points (including 39 points in the 31 games that followed the All-Star Break). Something tells me that $7.5 million per year question won’t go away, especially if the team struggles next season.
Obviously, the wisdom of this semi-promotion will be illustrated in the next seasons. Feaster won’t receive much cap space to work with and hasn’t always been the wisest with contract negotiations.* On the other hand, he does have a Stanley Cup on his resume from his stint with the Tampa Bay Lightning, so he has his pros and cons.
If nothing else, he gives the Flames stability since he was able to get acquainted with the team as Sutter’s assistant GM. We’ll see how he does now that he holds the throne.
* – Feaster signed Brad Richards (five years, $39 million; $7.9 million annual cap hit) and Dan Boyle (six years, $40 million; $6.66 million annual cap hit) to deals that were simply rich for the Tampa Bay Lightning to handle. They eventually needed to trade both players.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)