May 16, 2011, 11:37 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames didn’t make the playoffs, but they still spent like a team that did. Despite that notion, some of the team’s biggest success stories in the post-Darryl Sutter turnaround were their “budget” players.
Along with the impressive finish by not-so-budget captain Jarome Iginla ($7.5 million cap hit), the Flames received great contributions from cheap veterans Alex Tanguay ($1.7 million, 69 points), Brendan Morrison ($725K, 43 points) and rising young forward Curtis Glencross ($1.2 million, 43 points). Unfortunately, with that silver lining there was a catch: Tanguay, Morrison and Glencross ranked among the team’s pending free agents. That’s not a great thing since the team isn’t exactly swimming in salary cap room.
While Tanguay and Morrison remain question marks, Glencross avoided unrestricted free agency by signing with the team. Vicki Hall of the Calgary Herald writes that it is a multi-year deal with a “significant raise” and a no-movement clause, although terms have not yet been revealed.
The salary cap is expected to be around $62.2 million in 2011-12, so the Flames will have about $8.9 million to work with before the Glencross deal. They have a bit less than $53.3 million devoted to 16 players at the moment, so it will be interesting to see how much the team has left once the terms of the contract are announced.
Either way, the Flames re-signed a forward who finished the 2010-11 season on a hot streak, scoring 24 of his 43 points (including 12 of his 24 goals) in his final 31 games after the All-Star Break. We’ll let you know the damage of the deal when those details are released.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)