May 14, 2011, 1:11 PM EDT
If Nicklas Lidstrom really did play his final game in that thrilling Game 7 against the San Jose Sharks on Thursday, then he finished his career as one of the best at his position. There aren’t many athletes who can claim that they went out of their sports on top, but Lidstrom would be able to do just that.
Of course, there’s no guarantee that the stupendous Swede is going to hang up his skates. The Detroit Red Wings announced that Lidstrom expects to make his choice on July 1, which is the first day for unrestricted free agency.
The team also stated that Mike Modano “will take his time to decide as well.” It would be a bit surprising to see Modano lace ’em up again, but many expected his emotional last game with the Dallas Stars to be his final NHL contest, too.
The Red Wings went out of the 2011 playoffs fighting, as every San Jose Sharks fan finished Game 7 holding their breath. The team itself looks like it has plenty left in the tank, but we’ll have to wait some time to find out if Lidstrom and Modano think they have enough fuel for the 2011-12 season.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 19
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 71
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (71)