May 14, 2011, 1:11 PM EDT
If Nicklas Lidstrom really did play his final game in that thrilling Game 7 against the San Jose Sharks on Thursday, then he finished his career as one of the best at his position. There aren’t many athletes who can claim that they went out of their sports on top, but Lidstrom would be able to do just that.
Of course, there’s no guarantee that the stupendous Swede is going to hang up his skates. The Detroit Red Wings announced that Lidstrom expects to make his choice on July 1, which is the first day for unrestricted free agency.
The team also stated that Mike Modano “will take his time to decide as well.” It would be a bit surprising to see Modano lace ‘em up again, but many expected his emotional last game with the Dallas Stars to be his final NHL contest, too.
The Red Wings went out of the 2011 playoffs fighting, as every San Jose Sharks fan finished Game 7 holding their breath. The team itself looks like it has plenty left in the tank, but we’ll have to wait some time to find out if Lidstrom and Modano think they have enough fuel for the 2011-12 season.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)