May 14, 2011, 1:11 PM EDT
If Nicklas Lidstrom really did play his final game in that thrilling Game 7 against the San Jose Sharks on Thursday, then he finished his career as one of the best at his position. There aren’t many athletes who can claim that they went out of their sports on top, but Lidstrom would be able to do just that.
Of course, there’s no guarantee that the stupendous Swede is going to hang up his skates. The Detroit Red Wings announced that Lidstrom expects to make his choice on July 1, which is the first day for unrestricted free agency.
The team also stated that Mike Modano “will take his time to decide as well.” It would be a bit surprising to see Modano lace ’em up again, but many expected his emotional last game with the Dallas Stars to be his final NHL contest, too.
The Red Wings went out of the 2011 playoffs fighting, as every San Jose Sharks fan finished Game 7 holding their breath. The team itself looks like it has plenty left in the tank, but we’ll have to wait some time to find out if Lidstrom and Modano think they have enough fuel for the 2011-12 season.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 14
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5