May 14, 2011, 1:11 PM EDT
If Nicklas Lidstrom really did play his final game in that thrilling Game 7 against the San Jose Sharks on Thursday, then he finished his career as one of the best at his position. There aren’t many athletes who can claim that they went out of their sports on top, but Lidstrom would be able to do just that.
Of course, there’s no guarantee that the stupendous Swede is going to hang up his skates. The Detroit Red Wings announced that Lidstrom expects to make his choice on July 1, which is the first day for unrestricted free agency.
The team also stated that Mike Modano “will take his time to decide as well.” It would be a bit surprising to see Modano lace ‘em up again, but many expected his emotional last game with the Dallas Stars to be his final NHL contest, too.
The Red Wings went out of the 2011 playoffs fighting, as every San Jose Sharks fan finished Game 7 holding their breath. The team itself looks like it has plenty left in the tank, but we’ll have to wait some time to find out if Lidstrom and Modano think they have enough fuel for the 2011-12 season.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 9
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40