May 13, 2011, 12:51 PM EDT
It was a tough series for Patrick Marleau against the Detroit Red Wings. He struggled to get points through the first six games of the series as he was unable to get either a goal or an assist. Marleau’s struggles in the past in the playoffs linger in the minds of Sharks fans and critics alike and even get the attention of former teammates.
Such was the case with Jeremy Roenick as he ripped Marleau for his play after a Game 5 loss that saw Marleau meander through the game and not play like the team’s leading scorer. Roenick was pointed and truthful in his take calling Marleau “gutless” for his effort and saying that he knew he could play better. Roenick hoped that Marleau would prove him wrong and fortunately for both guys, that’s just what happened.
After the Sharks’ Game 7 win over the Red Wings that saw Marleau score the game-winning goal in the third period and had him forcing his play all the more, Roenick gave credit where credit was due in praising Marleau’s play. I think we can all rest easy now that we’ve been able to force Roenick to give in and act like a regular commentator on television. Make sure your sarcasm detector is turned on there.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)