May 13, 2011, 12:51 PM EDT
It was a tough series for Patrick Marleau against the Detroit Red Wings. He struggled to get points through the first six games of the series as he was unable to get either a goal or an assist. Marleau’s struggles in the past in the playoffs linger in the minds of Sharks fans and critics alike and even get the attention of former teammates.
Such was the case with Jeremy Roenick as he ripped Marleau for his play after a Game 5 loss that saw Marleau meander through the game and not play like the team’s leading scorer. Roenick was pointed and truthful in his take calling Marleau “gutless” for his effort and saying that he knew he could play better. Roenick hoped that Marleau would prove him wrong and fortunately for both guys, that’s just what happened.
After the Sharks’ Game 7 win over the Red Wings that saw Marleau score the game-winning goal in the third period and had him forcing his play all the more, Roenick gave credit where credit was due in praising Marleau’s play. I think we can all rest easy now that we’ve been able to force Roenick to give in and act like a regular commentator on television. Make sure your sarcasm detector is turned on there.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 22
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 31
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 98
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)