May 13, 2011, 11:02 AM EDT
It’s been a good year for Michael Grabner. After his season started off rocky being traded from Vancouver to Florida and then being waived by the Panthers and picked up by the Islanders, he went on to score 34 goals for the Isles and on his way to a potential Calder Trophy. Add that on top of announcing the birth of his son to the world via Twitter and that makes for a solid year for anyone.
Things got better today for Grabner as the potential restricted free agent signed a five year contract with the Islanders to stay in New York and provide the offensive spark for the team. Katie Strang of New York Newsday reports that the deal is worth $15 million, an amount that would be good for a $3 million a year hit against the salary cap.
This deal by the Isles is a solid one for their fans worried about the team’s commitment to the future that is potentially hanging in the balance thanks to their arena referendum. After all, if the referendum isn’t approved by voters on August 1, it might seem a bit out of hand to have such a commitment. Of course, if the referendum doesn’t pass, the Isles have other problems on their hands.
It’s also a major commitment for Grabner after one big season in the NHL. The Isles have to hope there’s not a sophomore slump next season and one that might linger on after that. Considering Grabner’s usefulness both at even strength and shorthanded, he might have a permanent spot in the lineup regardless.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)