May 12, 2011, 12:21 PM EDT
Wherever you stand on the subject of same-sex marriage, it’s important to remember that there are appropriate and inappropriate times to discuss the issue. Hopefully that is the ultimate lesson underneath all the hubbub surrounding Uptown Sports’ Twitter comments regarding Sean Avery’s commercial supporting marriage rights.
Apparently the fallout from that debate wasn’t limited to public opinion regarding that agency, as it appears that at least one person lost his job while expressing support for Uptown Sports. Rogers Sportsnet parted ways with TV host Damian Goddard after he used to Twitter to voice his support for the agency’s opposition to Avery’s stance.
The TV network was quick to voice its own disapproval for Goddard’s Tweet before severing ties with Goddard on Wednesday.
The TV network then issued its own tweet, saying: “Today’s tweet from Damian Goddard does not reflect the views of Rogers Sportsnet.” On Wednesday, it severed ties with Goddard.
In a statement, Sportsnet spokesman Dave Rashford said: “Mr. Goddard was a freelance contractor and in recent weeks it had become clear that he is not the right fit for our organization.”
If you’re curious about Goddard’s reactions, it appears that he hasn’t deleted his reactions to the firing at this time. Perhaps the situation was about more than just his comments about Avery and Uptown Sports, but this case is another sobering reminder that it’s wise to be careful about your comments on social media.
(I can’t believe I’m going to say this but … yes, it’s actually better to share inane updates about your lunch plans that it is to discuss controversial social issues on Twitter.)
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 0
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 44
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)