May 12, 2011, 12:21 PM EST
Wherever you stand on the subject of same-sex marriage, it’s important to remember that there are appropriate and inappropriate times to discuss the issue. Hopefully that is the ultimate lesson underneath all the hubbub surrounding Uptown Sports’ Twitter comments regarding Sean Avery’s commercial supporting marriage rights.
Apparently the fallout from that debate wasn’t limited to public opinion regarding that agency, as it appears that at least one person lost his job while expressing support for Uptown Sports. Rogers Sportsnet parted ways with TV host Damian Goddard after he used to Twitter to voice his support for the agency’s opposition to Avery’s stance.
The TV network was quick to voice its own disapproval for Goddard’s Tweet before severing ties with Goddard on Wednesday.
The TV network then issued its own tweet, saying: “Today’s tweet from Damian Goddard does not reflect the views of Rogers Sportsnet.” On Wednesday, it severed ties with Goddard.
In a statement, Sportsnet spokesman Dave Rashford said: “Mr. Goddard was a freelance contractor and in recent weeks it had become clear that he is not the right fit for our organization.”
If you’re curious about Goddard’s reactions, it appears that he hasn’t deleted his reactions to the firing at this time. Perhaps the situation was about more than just his comments about Avery and Uptown Sports, but this case is another sobering reminder that it’s wise to be careful about your comments on social media.
(I can’t believe I’m going to say this but … yes, it’s actually better to share inane updates about your lunch plans that it is to discuss controversial social issues on Twitter.)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 35
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)