May 11, 2011, 3:14 PM EDT
While the Avalanche have their minds focused on scouting for the NHL Draft at the end of June where they’ll have the second overall pick, they took care of a little inside business to help prepare for next seasons.
Colorado signed lifetime Avalanche forward Milan Hejduk to a one-year contract to stay with the team next season. Adrian Dater of The Denver Post reports that the deal is worth $2.6 million with a chance to be worth up to $3 million with incentives.
Hejduk’s been a solid and underrated goal scorer throughout his career in Denver with the Avs. Hejduk has scored 20 or more goals every season he’s been in the NHL aside from his rookie season. Over his 12 year career he’s scored 357 goals and added 400 assists while being part of their Stanley Cup winning team back in 2001. Last season, Hejduk put home 22 goals while also putting up a career low plus/minus rating of -23.
Hejduk gets the joy of playing alongside either Matt Duchene or Paul Stastny and while things have been down of late for the Avalanche, he provides a constant offensive ability when he’s on the ice. At 35 he’s not the 40 goal threat he was when he was younger, but he’s still one of the best they’ve got in Denver. With a one year contract it also makes good business sense for the Avs because those contracts to players 35 or older come with a risk. The Avs offense needs to keep the goals flowing, however, and Hejduk knows best how to do that.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)