May 11, 2011, 3:14 PM EDT
While the Avalanche have their minds focused on scouting for the NHL Draft at the end of June where they’ll have the second overall pick, they took care of a little inside business to help prepare for next seasons.
Colorado signed lifetime Avalanche forward Milan Hejduk to a one-year contract to stay with the team next season. Adrian Dater of The Denver Post reports that the deal is worth $2.6 million with a chance to be worth up to $3 million with incentives.
Hejduk’s been a solid and underrated goal scorer throughout his career in Denver with the Avs. Hejduk has scored 20 or more goals every season he’s been in the NHL aside from his rookie season. Over his 12 year career he’s scored 357 goals and added 400 assists while being part of their Stanley Cup winning team back in 2001. Last season, Hejduk put home 22 goals while also putting up a career low plus/minus rating of -23.
Hejduk gets the joy of playing alongside either Matt Duchene or Paul Stastny and while things have been down of late for the Avalanche, he provides a constant offensive ability when he’s on the ice. At 35 he’s not the 40 goal threat he was when he was younger, but he’s still one of the best they’ve got in Denver. With a one year contract it also makes good business sense for the Avs because those contracts to players 35 or older come with a risk. The Avs offense needs to keep the goals flowing, however, and Hejduk knows best how to do that.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 8
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)