May 11, 2011, 3:14 PM EDT
While the Avalanche have their minds focused on scouting for the NHL Draft at the end of June where they’ll have the second overall pick, they took care of a little inside business to help prepare for next seasons.
Colorado signed lifetime Avalanche forward Milan Hejduk to a one-year contract to stay with the team next season. Adrian Dater of The Denver Post reports that the deal is worth $2.6 million with a chance to be worth up to $3 million with incentives.
Hejduk’s been a solid and underrated goal scorer throughout his career in Denver with the Avs. Hejduk has scored 20 or more goals every season he’s been in the NHL aside from his rookie season. Over his 12 year career he’s scored 357 goals and added 400 assists while being part of their Stanley Cup winning team back in 2001. Last season, Hejduk put home 22 goals while also putting up a career low plus/minus rating of -23.
Hejduk gets the joy of playing alongside either Matt Duchene or Paul Stastny and while things have been down of late for the Avalanche, he provides a constant offensive ability when he’s on the ice. At 35 he’s not the 40 goal threat he was when he was younger, but he’s still one of the best they’ve got in Denver. With a one year contract it also makes good business sense for the Avs because those contracts to players 35 or older come with a risk. The Avs offense needs to keep the goals flowing, however, and Hejduk knows best how to do that.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)