May 11, 2011, 3:14 PM EDT
While the Avalanche have their minds focused on scouting for the NHL Draft at the end of June where they’ll have the second overall pick, they took care of a little inside business to help prepare for next seasons.
Colorado signed lifetime Avalanche forward Milan Hejduk to a one-year contract to stay with the team next season. Adrian Dater of The Denver Post reports that the deal is worth $2.6 million with a chance to be worth up to $3 million with incentives.
Hejduk’s been a solid and underrated goal scorer throughout his career in Denver with the Avs. Hejduk has scored 20 or more goals every season he’s been in the NHL aside from his rookie season. Over his 12 year career he’s scored 357 goals and added 400 assists while being part of their Stanley Cup winning team back in 2001. Last season, Hejduk put home 22 goals while also putting up a career low plus/minus rating of -23.
Hejduk gets the joy of playing alongside either Matt Duchene or Paul Stastny and while things have been down of late for the Avalanche, he provides a constant offensive ability when he’s on the ice. At 35 he’s not the 40 goal threat he was when he was younger, but he’s still one of the best they’ve got in Denver. With a one year contract it also makes good business sense for the Avs because those contracts to players 35 or older come with a risk. The Avs offense needs to keep the goals flowing, however, and Hejduk knows best how to do that.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)