May 10, 2011, 2:27 PM EDT
The New York Islanders have been trying to come up with plans to improve the aging Nassau Coliseum for years now. If rumors are true, there might be some reason for optimism.
The Islanders will hold a press conference on Wednesday to announce their “major Economic Development and Job Creation Plan to build a world-class sports-entertainment destination center,” according to a release from the team.
It’s a bit unclear if the renovations (which might cost around $400 million overall, according to some rumors) will involve a casino or not. Lighthouse Hockey relays a Newsday report that the project might happen without funding from a casino, yet the Islanders’ release reveals that Edward Mangano will “announce plans to pursue the construction of an Indian gaming casino.”
With that slight confusion in mind, we’ll take a wait-and-see approach. Even if the details are cloudy, it does seem like there’s some reason for positivity in Long Island. There have been some dark periods for this franchise – and they’re not out of the woods yet – but maybe they’re beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Expect more on this tomorrow, even if we probably won’t reach a concrete conclusion for quite some time.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 1
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 43
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 75
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks