May 10, 2011, 2:27 PM EDT
The New York Islanders have been trying to come up with plans to improve the aging Nassau Coliseum for years now. If rumors are true, there might be some reason for optimism.
The Islanders will hold a press conference on Wednesday to announce their “major Economic Development and Job Creation Plan to build a world-class sports-entertainment destination center,” according to a release from the team.
It’s a bit unclear if the renovations (which might cost around $400 million overall, according to some rumors) will involve a casino or not. Lighthouse Hockey relays a Newsday report that the project might happen without funding from a casino, yet the Islanders’ release reveals that Edward Mangano will “announce plans to pursue the construction of an Indian gaming casino.”
With that slight confusion in mind, we’ll take a wait-and-see approach. Even if the details are cloudy, it does seem like there’s some reason for positivity in Long Island. There have been some dark periods for this franchise – and they’re not out of the woods yet – but maybe they’re beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Expect more on this tomorrow, even if we probably won’t reach a concrete conclusion for quite some time.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 11
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (85)