May 10, 2011, 2:27 PM EST
The New York Islanders have been trying to come up with plans to improve the aging Nassau Coliseum for years now. If rumors are true, there might be some reason for optimism.
The Islanders will hold a press conference on Wednesday to announce their “major Economic Development and Job Creation Plan to build a world-class sports-entertainment destination center,” according to a release from the team.
It’s a bit unclear if the renovations (which might cost around $400 million overall, according to some rumors) will involve a casino or not. Lighthouse Hockey relays a Newsday report that the project might happen without funding from a casino, yet the Islanders’ release reveals that Edward Mangano will “announce plans to pursue the construction of an Indian gaming casino.”
With that slight confusion in mind, we’ll take a wait-and-see approach. Even if the details are cloudy, it does seem like there’s some reason for positivity in Long Island. There have been some dark periods for this franchise – and they’re not out of the woods yet – but maybe they’re beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Expect more on this tomorrow, even if we probably won’t reach a concrete conclusion for quite some time.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)