May 10, 2011, 2:27 PM EDT
The New York Islanders have been trying to come up with plans to improve the aging Nassau Coliseum for years now. If rumors are true, there might be some reason for optimism.
The Islanders will hold a press conference on Wednesday to announce their “major Economic Development and Job Creation Plan to build a world-class sports-entertainment destination center,” according to a release from the team.
It’s a bit unclear if the renovations (which might cost around $400 million overall, according to some rumors) will involve a casino or not. Lighthouse Hockey relays a Newsday report that the project might happen without funding from a casino, yet the Islanders’ release reveals that Edward Mangano will “announce plans to pursue the construction of an Indian gaming casino.”
With that slight confusion in mind, we’ll take a wait-and-see approach. Even if the details are cloudy, it does seem like there’s some reason for positivity in Long Island. There have been some dark periods for this franchise – and they’re not out of the woods yet – but maybe they’re beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Expect more on this tomorrow, even if we probably won’t reach a concrete conclusion for quite some time.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)