May 10, 2011, 1:17 AM EDT
We don’t consider ourselves a go-to source of information on the American Hockey League, but every once in a while, something special happens. Maybe it’s an amazing goal, a ridiculous save or a coach losing his mind, but if it’s interesting to the greater hockey public, we’ll give you the 4-1-1.
While the 2011 Stanley Cup playoffs are the biggest game in town and the 2011 World Championships are a refuge for players who aren’t ready for vacation, the 2011 Calder Cup playoffs are also taking place. Tonight marked a historic moment in AHL history, as the Hamilton Bulldogs earned a 2-1 win over the Manitoba Moose in triple overtime, the longest Game 7 in the AHL’s history.
An AHL press release reveals that this was the first AHL Game 7 playoff contest to go into the second overtime, let alone a third one.
Dustin Boyd (pictured) scored the game-winning goal, thwarting a 55-save effort by AHL all-rookie goalie Eddie Lack. (Ron Tugnutt might know Lack’s pain.) Drew McIntyre was the winning goalie for the Bulldogs after facing a comparatively paltry 30 shots.
The Bulldogs are the top affiliate for the Montreal Canadiens while the Moose are the top farm team for the Vancouver Canucks. Here are a few more details from the Winnipeg Free Press.
Hamilton earned a berth in the AHL’s Western Conference final, beating the Moose for the fourth consecutive time in the playoffs.
And with all the uncertainty over the NHL possible future in Winnipeg, there are also questions about the Moose’s future in that equation.
If the Moose era is over, it will have ended with no championships in 15 years.
Overall since goalie Danny Lorenz outfoxed them in the shootout in their very first game Oct. 4, 1996 in Milwaukee, the Moose played 1,342 games (1,210 regular-season and 131 playoff) and earned 679 wins.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)