May 10, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
The fate of the Phoenix Coyotes, Atlanta Thrashers and city of Winnipeg’s NHL hopes could be altered tonight. TSN reports that the City of Glendale’s mayor Elaine Scruggs and six councilors will vote to determine if they will pay the NHL $25 million to keep the Coyotes from relocating for at least one more season tonight.
Even if the City of Glendale’s representatives votes “Yes,” it’s far from a perfect solution. The Coyotes reportedly lost about $37 million in the 2010-11 season, so the league would still lose a significant amount of money if the same happens next season. Even if reports of potential owner Matt Hulsizer getting cold feet were exaggerated, the Goldwater Institute probably won’t be swayed by the simple passage of time, either.
The City of Glendale would likely lose a lot more money if the Coyotes left town, though, so you cannot totally fault them for holding on for dear life here. Time will tell if this solution works out in the long term or is just another band-aid plan.
Chances are high that the council will vote “Yes,” but Winnipeg wouldn’t necessarily need to give up on finding an NHL team anyway. As we’ve discussed before, the Thrashers could end up being the team that relocates to the hockey-hungry city. It would be quite the scramble to get all the paperwork done and for the league to get everything squared away by the beginning of the 2011-12 season, but it wouldn’t be completely out of the realm of reason for something to happen.
Anyone familiar with this situation will admit that the Coyotes sale saga has been full of twists and turns, so it isn’t safe to assume much. We’ll keep you up to date whichever way it zigs or zags next.
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 2
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 66
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)