May 10, 2011, 3:54 PM EDT
At this point, we already know that the Boston Bruins will host the Tampa Bay Lightning in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals on Saturday. While that long layoff might allow Simon Gagne to make it back into Tampa Bay’s lineup, Patrice Bergeron has been ruled out of the first game or two for Boston.
Bergeron probably won’t begin the series for Boston – and who knows if he’ll be back before next season after suffering his third concussion in four years – but the good news is that he spent time with the team during practice today. Joe Haggerty reports that he received treatment and interacted with teammates as they practiced, but it doesn’t sound like he went through anything too strenuous today.
Here’s what Bruins coach Claude Julien said about Bergeron’s progress.
“He’s doing better,” said Julien. “He’s dealing with the concussion symptoms and the protocol that goes along with that. He’s here today because he’s feeling better. We’re getting some positive feedback from him.”
The concussion recovery process can be a rather tricky one, but it’s nice to hear that Bergeron is making progress. Who knows if he’ll be ready to go during this year’s playoffs, but if Gagne can make it back considering his own history of issues, you really never know. We’ll keep you updated as the Eastern Conference finals approach.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 17
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 17
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (79)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)