May 10, 2011, 3:54 PM EST
At this point, we already know that the Boston Bruins will host the Tampa Bay Lightning in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals on Saturday. While that long layoff might allow Simon Gagne to make it back into Tampa Bay’s lineup, Patrice Bergeron has been ruled out of the first game or two for Boston.
Bergeron probably won’t begin the series for Boston – and who knows if he’ll be back before next season after suffering his third concussion in four years – but the good news is that he spent time with the team during practice today. Joe Haggerty reports that he received treatment and interacted with teammates as they practiced, but it doesn’t sound like he went through anything too strenuous today.
Here’s what Bruins coach Claude Julien said about Bergeron’s progress.
“He’s doing better,” said Julien. “He’s dealing with the concussion symptoms and the protocol that goes along with that. He’s here today because he’s feeling better. We’re getting some positive feedback from him.”
The concussion recovery process can be a rather tricky one, but it’s nice to hear that Bergeron is making progress. Who knows if he’ll be ready to go during this year’s playoffs, but if Gagne can make it back considering his own history of issues, you really never know. We’ll keep you updated as the Eastern Conference finals approach.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 17
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)