May 10, 2011, 3:54 PM EDT
At this point, we already know that the Boston Bruins will host the Tampa Bay Lightning in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals on Saturday. While that long layoff might allow Simon Gagne to make it back into Tampa Bay’s lineup, Patrice Bergeron has been ruled out of the first game or two for Boston.
Bergeron probably won’t begin the series for Boston – and who knows if he’ll be back before next season after suffering his third concussion in four years – but the good news is that he spent time with the team during practice today. Joe Haggerty reports that he received treatment and interacted with teammates as they practiced, but it doesn’t sound like he went through anything too strenuous today.
Here’s what Bruins coach Claude Julien said about Bergeron’s progress.
“He’s doing better,” said Julien. “He’s dealing with the concussion symptoms and the protocol that goes along with that. He’s here today because he’s feeling better. We’re getting some positive feedback from him.”
The concussion recovery process can be a rather tricky one, but it’s nice to hear that Bergeron is making progress. Who knows if he’ll be ready to go during this year’s playoffs, but if Gagne can make it back considering his own history of issues, you really never know. We’ll keep you updated as the Eastern Conference finals approach.
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 0
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 2
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 14
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 45
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (60)