May 10, 2011, 3:54 PM EDT
At this point, we already know that the Boston Bruins will host the Tampa Bay Lightning in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals on Saturday. While that long layoff might allow Simon Gagne to make it back into Tampa Bay’s lineup, Patrice Bergeron has been ruled out of the first game or two for Boston.
Bergeron probably won’t begin the series for Boston – and who knows if he’ll be back before next season after suffering his third concussion in four years – but the good news is that he spent time with the team during practice today. Joe Haggerty reports that he received treatment and interacted with teammates as they practiced, but it doesn’t sound like he went through anything too strenuous today.
Here’s what Bruins coach Claude Julien said about Bergeron’s progress.
“He’s doing better,” said Julien. “He’s dealing with the concussion symptoms and the protocol that goes along with that. He’s here today because he’s feeling better. We’re getting some positive feedback from him.”
The concussion recovery process can be a rather tricky one, but it’s nice to hear that Bergeron is making progress. Who knows if he’ll be ready to go during this year’s playoffs, but if Gagne can make it back considering his own history of issues, you really never know. We’ll keep you updated as the Eastern Conference finals approach.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 60
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)