May 9, 2011, 7:22 PM EST
While the two remaining Eastern Conference teams are receiving a borderline excessive amount of rest, the Western Conference semifinals continue. The Detroit Red Wings fought off elimination once again last night and the Nashville Predators hope to do the same in Game 6.
Vancouver @ Nashville (Versus) – 8 p.m. ET; Canucks lead series 3-2
The No. 1 story going into this game is the continued struggles of the Sedin twins, even if Vancouver Canucks coach Alain Vigneault deflected blame from their Game 5 performances. Yet amid all that negative attention, the Predators could use more contributions from some of their own highest scorers. Patric Hornqvist and Sergei Kostitsyn were among the most dangerous forwards for Nashville during the regular season, but neither player registered a point in this series so far.
After four defense-first games, Saturday’s contest was surprisingly energetic, messy and fun. Even though Nashville won, you have to wonder if they can pull off another win at that pace. They might want to do just that in front of their own fans, but their best chance of earning their first second round home victory probably revolves around mucking it up.
The Canucks cannot ask for much more from Ryan Kesler, who’s been an absolute force in this series. Roberto Luongo and Pekka Rinne have been brilliant for most of the five games, but one bad night could put Luongo’s team in another must-win situation while an off-game for Rinne could bring elimination.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 36
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)