May 8, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
It shouldn’t have been surprising that the Detroit Red Wings avoided being swept at the hands of the San Jose Sharks on Friday night.
After all, this is the Detroit Red Wings we are talking about. The Red Wings haven’t lost a series in four games since the New Jersey Devils shocked them (and kinda sorta ruined hockey for a little while) in the 1995 Stanley Cup Finals. Mere mortal teams must worry about being swept, not the Red Wings. It didn’t hurt that their previous three losses were close on the scoreboard, even if San Jose often carried the play from a shots/scoring chances perspective.
The fact that they nearly coughed up a 3-0 lead was, however, pretty startling. Maybe Detroit stepped off the gas pedal a bit, but the Sharks showed that they aren’t going to make it easy for the Red Wings either.
Last year, the Red Wings earned a much more dominant Game 4 win before falling to San Jose in Game 5. Can they avoid that fate or will San Jose get to rest up and watch the Vancouver Canucks duke it out with the Nashville Predators? The Versus gang breaks down Game 5 of Detroit-San Jose in the video clip below.
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 16
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)