May 8, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
It shouldn’t have been surprising that the Detroit Red Wings avoided being swept at the hands of the San Jose Sharks on Friday night.
After all, this is the Detroit Red Wings we are talking about. The Red Wings haven’t lost a series in four games since the New Jersey Devils shocked them (and kinda sorta ruined hockey for a little while) in the 1995 Stanley Cup Finals. Mere mortal teams must worry about being swept, not the Red Wings. It didn’t hurt that their previous three losses were close on the scoreboard, even if San Jose often carried the play from a shots/scoring chances perspective.
The fact that they nearly coughed up a 3-0 lead was, however, pretty startling. Maybe Detroit stepped off the gas pedal a bit, but the Sharks showed that they aren’t going to make it easy for the Red Wings either.
Last year, the Red Wings earned a much more dominant Game 4 win before falling to San Jose in Game 5. Can they avoid that fate or will San Jose get to rest up and watch the Vancouver Canucks duke it out with the Nashville Predators? The Versus gang breaks down Game 5 of Detroit-San Jose in the video clip below.
- 2015 Norris Trophy finalists: Doughty, Karlsson and Subban 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 15
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 11
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 69
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 49
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (85)