May 8, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
It shouldn’t have been surprising that the Detroit Red Wings avoided being swept at the hands of the San Jose Sharks on Friday night.
After all, this is the Detroit Red Wings we are talking about. The Red Wings haven’t lost a series in four games since the New Jersey Devils shocked them (and kinda sorta ruined hockey for a little while) in the 1995 Stanley Cup Finals. Mere mortal teams must worry about being swept, not the Red Wings. It didn’t hurt that their previous three losses were close on the scoreboard, even if San Jose often carried the play from a shots/scoring chances perspective.
The fact that they nearly coughed up a 3-0 lead was, however, pretty startling. Maybe Detroit stepped off the gas pedal a bit, but the Sharks showed that they aren’t going to make it easy for the Red Wings either.
Last year, the Red Wings earned a much more dominant Game 4 win before falling to San Jose in Game 5. Can they avoid that fate or will San Jose get to rest up and watch the Vancouver Canucks duke it out with the Nashville Predators? The Versus gang breaks down Game 5 of Detroit-San Jose in the video clip below.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 43
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 34
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 10
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22