May 8, 2011, 5:32 PM EDT
While assessing the Vancouver Canucks’ 4-3 loss to the Nashville Predators, I must admit that I was a little hard on the Sedin twins. Maybe a little too hard.
Sure, their combined -7 rating from Game 5 looks bad out of context. Yet when you look at the goals scored against them, it was typically a different Vancouver player making the turnover/mistake. Plus/minus can be a misleading stat since it benefits or reprimands an entire set of players when sometimes it’s the error of a single skater (or goalie).
Ultimately, the Sedin twins do need to produce more points, though. Ryan Kesler is carrying this team in this second round series, but if the Canucks hope to beat either the Detroit Red Wings or San Jose Sharks if they get through the Predators, they’ll need more from Henrik and Daniel Sedin.
Head coach Alain Vigneault must be aware of the importance of keeping an even keel. He made the wise choice to deflect blame from them when asked about their plus/minus ratings.
“Those are unfair stats,” Vigneault said of the plus-minus. “They couldn’t do anything about [Alex] Edler putting the puck into our net. They couldn’t do anything on the [Mikael] Samuelsson turnover and they couldn’t do anything on the other two turnovers. Sometimes, that’s an unfair stat.
“They’re working extremely well and hard. They are guys who are supposed to put points up and I’m supporting them 100 per cent. The points are going to come.”
Daniel has nine points (5-4) in a dozen game but is bothered by the plus-minus wart.
“Absolutely,” said the winger. “That’s always been something we’ve been focusing on and yesterday [Saturday] was one of those games and we had one against Chicago, too. They hurt us, but we’ve got to bounce back.”
Fair or not, playoff performances have a huge impact on players’ legacies. If the Sedin twins want to be respected as some of the best players in the NHL, they’ll need to find the net with greater frequency. Getting almost there isn’t quite good enough at this level.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (63)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)