May 8, 2011, 5:32 PM EDT
While assessing the Vancouver Canucks’ 4-3 loss to the Nashville Predators, I must admit that I was a little hard on the Sedin twins. Maybe a little too hard.
Sure, their combined -7 rating from Game 5 looks bad out of context. Yet when you look at the goals scored against them, it was typically a different Vancouver player making the turnover/mistake. Plus/minus can be a misleading stat since it benefits or reprimands an entire set of players when sometimes it’s the error of a single skater (or goalie).
Ultimately, the Sedin twins do need to produce more points, though. Ryan Kesler is carrying this team in this second round series, but if the Canucks hope to beat either the Detroit Red Wings or San Jose Sharks if they get through the Predators, they’ll need more from Henrik and Daniel Sedin.
Head coach Alain Vigneault must be aware of the importance of keeping an even keel. He made the wise choice to deflect blame from them when asked about their plus/minus ratings.
“Those are unfair stats,” Vigneault said of the plus-minus. “They couldn’t do anything about [Alex] Edler putting the puck into our net. They couldn’t do anything on the [Mikael] Samuelsson turnover and they couldn’t do anything on the other two turnovers. Sometimes, that’s an unfair stat.
“They’re working extremely well and hard. They are guys who are supposed to put points up and I’m supporting them 100 per cent. The points are going to come.”
Daniel has nine points (5-4) in a dozen game but is bothered by the plus-minus wart.
“Absolutely,” said the winger. “That’s always been something we’ve been focusing on and yesterday [Saturday] was one of those games and we had one against Chicago, too. They hurt us, but we’ve got to bounce back.”
Fair or not, playoff performances have a huge impact on players’ legacies. If the Sedin twins want to be respected as some of the best players in the NHL, they’ll need to find the net with greater frequency. Getting almost there isn’t quite good enough at this level.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 3
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 34
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54