May 7, 2011, 10:44 AM EDT
After the Boston Bruins swept out the Philadelphia Flyers last night, there was one lingering worry the team had even in their moment of celebration. Late in the game, Bruins center Patrice Bergeron collided with Flyers forward Claude Giroux. The violent jolt shook up both players and while Giroux was able to get to the bench and bounce back, Bergeron got back to the bench and headed straight to the locker room to get checked out.
With Bergeron’s history of concussion problems the Bruins staff had every reason to be immediately concerned for him. Now, the Bruins confirmed that Bergeron has a mild concussion and they expect him to miss the start of the Eastern Conference final.
Bergeron’s history of concussions is rough. In October 2007, he suffered an awful hit from behind by then Flyers defenseman Randy Jones, a hit that knocked Bergeron out for the season. Upon his return the following season, Bergeron was knocked out for a month with a concussion after colliding with then Hurricanes defenseman Dennis Seidenberg.
There’s no way of knowing for sure how long Bergeron will be out of the Bruins lineup. With Bergeron out for at least the start of the series that means that, at long last, rookie Tyler Seguin wll draw into the Bruins starting lineup. Seguin has been a healthy scratch all throughout the playoffs as coach Claude Julien has opted to go with players he’s more comfortable with in Michael Ryder and Daniel Paille.
Seguin’s absence from the starting lineup has been a sore spot for some fans as they feel the talented youngster is going to waste sitting in the press box rather than playing. Now he’ll likely get his shot to prove himself on a really big stage in the Eastern Conference final.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)