May 7, 2011, 10:44 AM EDT
After the Boston Bruins swept out the Philadelphia Flyers last night, there was one lingering worry the team had even in their moment of celebration. Late in the game, Bruins center Patrice Bergeron collided with Flyers forward Claude Giroux. The violent jolt shook up both players and while Giroux was able to get to the bench and bounce back, Bergeron got back to the bench and headed straight to the locker room to get checked out.
With Bergeron’s history of concussion problems the Bruins staff had every reason to be immediately concerned for him. Now, the Bruins confirmed that Bergeron has a mild concussion and they expect him to miss the start of the Eastern Conference final.
Bergeron’s history of concussions is rough. In October 2007, he suffered an awful hit from behind by then Flyers defenseman Randy Jones, a hit that knocked Bergeron out for the season. Upon his return the following season, Bergeron was knocked out for a month with a concussion after colliding with then Hurricanes defenseman Dennis Seidenberg.
There’s no way of knowing for sure how long Bergeron will be out of the Bruins lineup. With Bergeron out for at least the start of the series that means that, at long last, rookie Tyler Seguin wll draw into the Bruins starting lineup. Seguin has been a healthy scratch all throughout the playoffs as coach Claude Julien has opted to go with players he’s more comfortable with in Michael Ryder and Daniel Paille.
Seguin’s absence from the starting lineup has been a sore spot for some fans as they feel the talented youngster is going to waste sitting in the press box rather than playing. Now he’ll likely get his shot to prove himself on a really big stage in the Eastern Conference final.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 4
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)