May 7, 2011, 10:44 AM EST
After the Boston Bruins swept out the Philadelphia Flyers last night, there was one lingering worry the team had even in their moment of celebration. Late in the game, Bruins center Patrice Bergeron collided with Flyers forward Claude Giroux. The violent jolt shook up both players and while Giroux was able to get to the bench and bounce back, Bergeron got back to the bench and headed straight to the locker room to get checked out.
With Bergeron’s history of concussion problems the Bruins staff had every reason to be immediately concerned for him. Now, the Bruins confirmed that Bergeron has a mild concussion and they expect him to miss the start of the Eastern Conference final.
Bergeron’s history of concussions is rough. In October 2007, he suffered an awful hit from behind by then Flyers defenseman Randy Jones, a hit that knocked Bergeron out for the season. Upon his return the following season, Bergeron was knocked out for a month with a concussion after colliding with then Hurricanes defenseman Dennis Seidenberg.
There’s no way of knowing for sure how long Bergeron will be out of the Bruins lineup. With Bergeron out for at least the start of the series that means that, at long last, rookie Tyler Seguin wll draw into the Bruins starting lineup. Seguin has been a healthy scratch all throughout the playoffs as coach Claude Julien has opted to go with players he’s more comfortable with in Michael Ryder and Daniel Paille.
Seguin’s absence from the starting lineup has been a sore spot for some fans as they feel the talented youngster is going to waste sitting in the press box rather than playing. Now he’ll likely get his shot to prove himself on a really big stage in the Eastern Conference final.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 19
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 19
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 41
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9