May 7, 2011, 9:54 PM EST
Honestly, I was expecting to publish these poll results as the Boston Bruins visited the Flyers in Philadelphia in a Game 5 match. Obviously, that won’t happen, as the Bruins did an impressive job of sweeping the Flyers out of the playoffs while Philly must answer some tough questions.
As it turned out, the first Kate Smith/Lauren Hart “God Bless America” rendition after news broke about Osama bin Laden’s death turned out to be the last one until next season.
The question we posed was: should the Flyers retire their traditional mash-up of Hart’s live vocals and video footage of Smith’s rendition or should the team maintain the status singing quo? Before we get to the poll results, here are a couple comments from PHT readers. (Note: these comments haven’t been edited.)
“cptman” voiced disapproval regarding a change:
I am no flag waving patriotic citizen, however, whenever I hear Kate Smith sing God Bless America, I always get a tear in my eye. While Lauren Hart does a good job, sometimes new and improved is not better than the original. To drop Kate Smith would be unAmerican.
Meanwhile, “snoboarder92201” thinks it might be time to move on.
I agree, it is an awesome sight. but it is a different era. Let Kate Smith go. This team does not need to be looking up at here and have the weight of the 1970′s teams on their shoulders because Kate Smith is singing. I am a huge Flyers fan but it is time to let it go.
(You can read more comments in the original post.)
OK, now that we have some responses, let’s take a look at the results.
So, readers think the Flyers should go with a Hart-only “God Bless America” rendition by a very slim margin (less than five percent more). It’s doubtful that the very independent Flyers franchise would allow a poll like this to influence their tradition anyway, but this isn’t an emphatic movement to do away with the old setup.
It is interesting to see that more people believe that the team should make a change, especially since such a move could be controversial in some circles. The “God Bless America” tradition already makes the Flyers’ pre-game ceremonies special, but some think that it’s time to let Hart handle it on her own.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4