May 6, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
The first round of the 2011 playoffs really was one of the best in ages. That’s not just a subjective statement of phrase but rather an opinion backed up by facts. When half of the series go a full seven games, nearly every night features an overtime period or two and comebacks are plentiful, you know you’re in for a great round.
That set a difficult bar for Round 2, and even with some compelling games, it looks like the second set of games could be much shorter. The Tampa Bay Lightning already swept the Washington Capitals and now the San Jose Sharks and Boston Bruins could do the same to the Detroit Red Wings and Philadelphia Flyers tonight.
Of course, the Red Wings and Flyers are talented teams despite their predicaments, so assuming that they’ll fold is dangerous. To get you pumped up for Friday’s duo of games, the Versus crew provided previews of each contest, which you can see in the video below.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5