May 6, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
The first round of the 2011 playoffs really was one of the best in ages. That’s not just a subjective statement of phrase but rather an opinion backed up by facts. When half of the series go a full seven games, nearly every night features an overtime period or two and comebacks are plentiful, you know you’re in for a great round.
That set a difficult bar for Round 2, and even with some compelling games, it looks like the second set of games could be much shorter. The Tampa Bay Lightning already swept the Washington Capitals and now the San Jose Sharks and Boston Bruins could do the same to the Detroit Red Wings and Philadelphia Flyers tonight.
Of course, the Red Wings and Flyers are talented teams despite their predicaments, so assuming that they’ll fold is dangerous. To get you pumped up for Friday’s duo of games, the Versus crew provided previews of each contest, which you can see in the video below.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 15
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 43
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 9
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)