May 5, 2011, 7:40 PM EDT
During the highest points of his career, Steve Sullivan was a big fish in a sea of blue collar workers in Nashville. Injuries and increasing age lowered his rank in the Predators’ hierarchy, although to some extent, it’s a wonder that he managed to fight through some of his toughest ailments in the first place.
In a way, it’s almost an informal passing of the torch. The team is hoping for big things out of Wilson, the seventh overall pick of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. He was solid during the 2010-11 season, producing 34 points and a +9 rating in 82 games played. Wilson played in last year’s first round series loss against the Chicago Blackhawks, but tonight’s Game 4 will mark his first 2011 playoff appearance.
Cooper reports that Predators coach Barry Trotz said Sullivan might not return during this series because of his lower-body injury. That’s not the big loss it once was, though, considering the fact that Sullivan was averaging less than 10 minutes of ice time per playoff game so far. In fact, it could be a blessing in disguise if Wilson gives Nashville’s offense a much-needed boost.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)