May 5, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
We’ve had more than our fair share of Capitals fallout talk today from figuring out what went wrong to hearing from owner Ted Leonsis. One figure we haven’t heard from yet is general manager George McPhee.
With everyone taking care of the postmortem discussion today, McPhee did give his take on things after the Caps were swept out of the playoffs by the Tampa Bay Lightning. With McPhee being the mastermind behind the Caps roster and how they’ve been put together the last few seasons, he’s feeling a bit of the heat as well.
When asked about whether or not he thinks coach Bruce Boudreau will be back next season with the team, his take on things wasn’t too surprising given how tight knit the front office is.
Ryan O’Halloran of CSN Washington gets the take from the Caps GM today.
“I expect him to be back, yeah,” McPhee said at Kettler Capitals IcePlex, hours after his team was bounced by Tampa Bay. “He’s a good coach. Somebody said he’s not a playoff coach. There’s no difference between a playoff coach and a regular season coach. You’re either a good coach or you’re not and he’s a good coach.”
Boudreau is a good coach for a team in the regular season. That’s not the issue for the Capitals. The problem is the playoffs where the Caps haven’t gone past the second round the last four years. Whether that’s because the Capitals keep running into hot teams, hot goalies, or just wear down into the playoffs doesn’t seem to matter. Having the same results year after year mean that something has to give.
Should it be Bruce Boudreau though? Does the Caps coach deserve to come back next season and give it another shot to get the Caps in the Stanley Cup final? Let us know in our poll and in the comments what you think.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 0
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 20
- Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 26
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)