May 5, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
We’ve had more than our fair share of Capitals fallout talk today from figuring out what went wrong to hearing from owner Ted Leonsis. One figure we haven’t heard from yet is general manager George McPhee.
With everyone taking care of the postmortem discussion today, McPhee did give his take on things after the Caps were swept out of the playoffs by the Tampa Bay Lightning. With McPhee being the mastermind behind the Caps roster and how they’ve been put together the last few seasons, he’s feeling a bit of the heat as well.
When asked about whether or not he thinks coach Bruce Boudreau will be back next season with the team, his take on things wasn’t too surprising given how tight knit the front office is.
Ryan O’Halloran of CSN Washington gets the take from the Caps GM today.
“I expect him to be back, yeah,” McPhee said at Kettler Capitals IcePlex, hours after his team was bounced by Tampa Bay. “He’s a good coach. Somebody said he’s not a playoff coach. There’s no difference between a playoff coach and a regular season coach. You’re either a good coach or you’re not and he’s a good coach.”
Boudreau is a good coach for a team in the regular season. That’s not the issue for the Capitals. The problem is the playoffs where the Caps haven’t gone past the second round the last four years. Whether that’s because the Capitals keep running into hot teams, hot goalies, or just wear down into the playoffs doesn’t seem to matter. Having the same results year after year mean that something has to give.
Should it be Bruce Boudreau though? Does the Caps coach deserve to come back next season and give it another shot to get the Caps in the Stanley Cup final? Let us know in our poll and in the comments what you think.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)