May 5, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
We’ve had more than our fair share of Capitals fallout talk today from figuring out what went wrong to hearing from owner Ted Leonsis. One figure we haven’t heard from yet is general manager George McPhee.
With everyone taking care of the postmortem discussion today, McPhee did give his take on things after the Caps were swept out of the playoffs by the Tampa Bay Lightning. With McPhee being the mastermind behind the Caps roster and how they’ve been put together the last few seasons, he’s feeling a bit of the heat as well.
When asked about whether or not he thinks coach Bruce Boudreau will be back next season with the team, his take on things wasn’t too surprising given how tight knit the front office is.
Ryan O’Halloran of CSN Washington gets the take from the Caps GM today.
“I expect him to be back, yeah,” McPhee said at Kettler Capitals IcePlex, hours after his team was bounced by Tampa Bay. “He’s a good coach. Somebody said he’s not a playoff coach. There’s no difference between a playoff coach and a regular season coach. You’re either a good coach or you’re not and he’s a good coach.”
Boudreau is a good coach for a team in the regular season. That’s not the issue for the Capitals. The problem is the playoffs where the Caps haven’t gone past the second round the last four years. Whether that’s because the Capitals keep running into hot teams, hot goalies, or just wear down into the playoffs doesn’t seem to matter. Having the same results year after year mean that something has to give.
Should it be Bruce Boudreau though? Does the Caps coach deserve to come back next season and give it another shot to get the Caps in the Stanley Cup final? Let us know in our poll and in the comments what you think.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)