May 4, 2011, 12:39 PM EDT
While they’re an opportunity for players to maintain some semblance of rhythm in the off-beat postseason, morning skates are often the source of speculation. It’s important to note that they aren’t always the most accurate barometer for who will play in a given night, especially amid the exhaustion of (ideally) a two-month playoff run.
That being said, they can occasionally give use something to talk about. The Philadelphia Flyers were the first team to provide some intrigue this morning, as forward Jeff Carter skated while defenseman Chris Pronger did not, according to Tim Panaccio.
On the negative side, some wonder if Pronger will be doubtful for the rest of the series with rumored hamstring or back issues. The other negative is that Carter was just staking at “3/4 speed” and might only be used on the power play, if he does play.
Of course, even a PP-only Carter could be useful, especially since the Flyers hope to engage in high-scoring games. Elliotte Friedman reports that Peter Laviolette said Carter “looked good,” so that could be a great sign.
It sounds like Pronger will miss tonight’s game while Carter could be a game-time decision, but if anything changes, we will let you know.
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 11
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 51
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 18
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (62)