May 4, 2011, 12:39 PM EDT
While they’re an opportunity for players to maintain some semblance of rhythm in the off-beat postseason, morning skates are often the source of speculation. It’s important to note that they aren’t always the most accurate barometer for who will play in a given night, especially amid the exhaustion of (ideally) a two-month playoff run.
That being said, they can occasionally give use something to talk about. The Philadelphia Flyers were the first team to provide some intrigue this morning, as forward Jeff Carter skated while defenseman Chris Pronger did not, according to Tim Panaccio.
On the negative side, some wonder if Pronger will be doubtful for the rest of the series with rumored hamstring or back issues. The other negative is that Carter was just staking at “3/4 speed” and might only be used on the power play, if he does play.
Of course, even a PP-only Carter could be useful, especially since the Flyers hope to engage in high-scoring games. Elliotte Friedman reports that Peter Laviolette said Carter “looked good,” so that could be a great sign.
It sounds like Pronger will miss tonight’s game while Carter could be a game-time decision, but if anything changes, we will let you know.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)