May 4, 2011, 12:39 PM EDT
While they’re an opportunity for players to maintain some semblance of rhythm in the off-beat postseason, morning skates are often the source of speculation. It’s important to note that they aren’t always the most accurate barometer for who will play in a given night, especially amid the exhaustion of (ideally) a two-month playoff run.
That being said, they can occasionally give use something to talk about. The Philadelphia Flyers were the first team to provide some intrigue this morning, as forward Jeff Carter skated while defenseman Chris Pronger did not, according to Tim Panaccio.
On the negative side, some wonder if Pronger will be doubtful for the rest of the series with rumored hamstring or back issues. The other negative is that Carter was just staking at “3/4 speed” and might only be used on the power play, if he does play.
Of course, even a PP-only Carter could be useful, especially since the Flyers hope to engage in high-scoring games. Elliotte Friedman reports that Peter Laviolette said Carter “looked good,” so that could be a great sign.
It sounds like Pronger will miss tonight’s game while Carter could be a game-time decision, but if anything changes, we will let you know.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)