May 4, 2011, 5:19 PM EDT
When you build up an early lead, it’s almost natural to sag a bit. After all, you’ve acquired some sporting insurance and you’re inherently less hungry than your opponent. If the talent levels are close, losing that heightened sense of urgency can be an issue.
Despite building up a 2-0 lead, the Boston Bruins are saying all the right things as they prepare for Game 3 against the Philadelphia Flyers tonight. It’s not as if they need to search far and wide for an example of how fickle a two-game (and yes, even a three-game) series lead can be, considering the team’s recent history.
The Flyers will be the team facing the biggest changes, as Chris Pronger is expected to miss tonight’s game while Jeff Carter will be a game-time decision. (Naturally, these situations are always subject to change.)
Nope, the only difference for the Bruins is some home cooking and that Shane Hnidy will replace an injured Adam McQuaid. All indications point to Tim Thomas going up against Brian Boucher in the nets, so the biggest changes could be in execution and attitude.
“If we play well, we’ll be up by another game,” said coach Claude Julien, shedding some light onto the approach in the B’s dressing room. “I don’t think there’s anyone in that dressing room, including coaching staff and players, that are certainly sitting comfortable. This is going to be a tough task, and they’re a good team, and we’re ready to face that challenge.”
“For us, it’s about taking all the emotion and energy from the crowd and use it to give us everything that we need,” said Patrice Bergeron. “We need to take whatever we can to do the job at home because that’s going to be huge going down the stretch.”
Game 1 was a blowout, but Thomas really bailed the Bruins out in Game 2. It should be interesting to see if Game 3 has the same neck breakneck pace or if Boston will use home ice advantage to clog things up a bit. Either way, they’re taking the Flyers’ threat seriously, at least on the record.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 10
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)