May 4, 2011, 4:17 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks made a spirited run from a 3-0 deficit to force a Game 7, but to many, the series will be defined by that Alex Burrows overtime game-winner. Defenseman Chris Campoli was the Blackhawks player who turned the puck over on that play and he wasn’t hesitant to take the blame after the game was over.
Yet as we’ve learned over and over again, Campoli still deserves some admiration. The offensive blueliner was fighting through a knee injury that required surgery on Tuesday, according to CSN Chicago’s Tracey Myers.
The recovery process will take about two months, according to team physician Dr. Michael Terry.
It’s never a great sign to undergo knee surgery, but this isn’t a bad time to do it. Barring setbacks, Campoli should have plenty of time to prepare for training camp in September. He’ll be a restricted free agent this summer, so we’ll need to wait and see if he ends up in camp with the Blackhawks or some other team.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)