May 3, 2011, 7:40 PM EDT
Being that it was the first NHL game played since the announcement of Osama bin Laden’s death, last night’s rendition of “God Bless America” took on extra meaning. In case you’re not acquainted with the Philadelphia Flyers’ pre-game ceremonies, the team combines the live vocals of Lauren Hart with video tape footage of historic good luck charm Kate Smith for its patriotic pledge.
It’s one of the many traditions that make Philadelphia sports fans unique, but to outsiders, the practice seems a bit … quirky. Smith died on June 17, 1986, yet the team still honors her with that “God Bless America” mash-up. As you can see from this post’s main image, they also erected a statue in her honor.
You have to hand it to the Flyers organization for being so loyal, but at least one Flyers blogger wonders if it’s time to put that tradition to bed. Ryan of Flyers Goal Scored By writes that the team should simply go with current singer Lauren Hart, at least on most nights.
Lauren Hart is perfectly capable of honoring our country, troops, citizens, and the people that protect and make this country run every day on her own. She’s actually very good too. So why not let her take the lead and go the distance?
God Bless America is already unique in and of itself. The organization should stop watering down a legend’s legacy by wheeling her out for every post season contest.
Maybe after a year our two off surprise everyone in a game seven. That would be cool. That would be worth talking about.
So there’s the opinion of one Flyers blogger, but how do you feel about it? Some might think that the team should shelve “God Bless America” for “The Star Spangled Banner” but that could be another poll for another day. Should the Flyers continue combining video of Smith with Hart’s live vocals or just let Hart handle the duty alone? Let us know in the poll below.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 0
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 31
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 30
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21