May 3, 2011, 3:37 PM EDT
Say what you will about what’s going on with the Phoenix Coyotes and the City of Glendale but the one thing you can’t argue about is the ability of the City of Glendale to stand by their commitments to the NHL.
There’s not a lot to read out of this development other than Glendale can own up to their pledges of good faith. Of course, asking a city to hand out that much money to keep a team that continues to bleed money can be a bit of a sticking point for taxpayers in the City of Glendale if they were keeping up on all of these developments. I know I’d be concerned about these things if it was happening in my neighborhood, but I don’t so I’ll just take my opinion on this from the outside.
The City of Glendale had to make good on this though because that was all part of the deal, reneging on this deal wouldn’t exactly give the NHL proper motivation to want to help carve them out a deal somehow with Matthew Hulsizer while a potential buyer waits on the sidelines for the green light to cut a check to buy and move the team.
Things are long from over with this situation, but at least this is something that could be construed as good for things in Arizona in its own weird way.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 15
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 69
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 91
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)