May 3, 2011, 3:37 PM EDT
Say what you will about what’s going on with the Phoenix Coyotes and the City of Glendale but the one thing you can’t argue about is the ability of the City of Glendale to stand by their commitments to the NHL.
There’s not a lot to read out of this development other than Glendale can own up to their pledges of good faith. Of course, asking a city to hand out that much money to keep a team that continues to bleed money can be a bit of a sticking point for taxpayers in the City of Glendale if they were keeping up on all of these developments. I know I’d be concerned about these things if it was happening in my neighborhood, but I don’t so I’ll just take my opinion on this from the outside.
The City of Glendale had to make good on this though because that was all part of the deal, reneging on this deal wouldn’t exactly give the NHL proper motivation to want to help carve them out a deal somehow with Matthew Hulsizer while a potential buyer waits on the sidelines for the green light to cut a check to buy and move the team.
Things are long from over with this situation, but at least this is something that could be construed as good for things in Arizona in its own weird way.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)