May 3, 2011, 3:37 PM EDT
Say what you will about what’s going on with the Phoenix Coyotes and the City of Glendale but the one thing you can’t argue about is the ability of the City of Glendale to stand by their commitments to the NHL.
There’s not a lot to read out of this development other than Glendale can own up to their pledges of good faith. Of course, asking a city to hand out that much money to keep a team that continues to bleed money can be a bit of a sticking point for taxpayers in the City of Glendale if they were keeping up on all of these developments. I know I’d be concerned about these things if it was happening in my neighborhood, but I don’t so I’ll just take my opinion on this from the outside.
The City of Glendale had to make good on this though because that was all part of the deal, reneging on this deal wouldn’t exactly give the NHL proper motivation to want to help carve them out a deal somehow with Matthew Hulsizer while a potential buyer waits on the sidelines for the green light to cut a check to buy and move the team.
Things are long from over with this situation, but at least this is something that could be construed as good for things in Arizona in its own weird way.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)