May 3, 2011, 3:37 PM EDT
Say what you will about what’s going on with the Phoenix Coyotes and the City of Glendale but the one thing you can’t argue about is the ability of the City of Glendale to stand by their commitments to the NHL.
There’s not a lot to read out of this development other than Glendale can own up to their pledges of good faith. Of course, asking a city to hand out that much money to keep a team that continues to bleed money can be a bit of a sticking point for taxpayers in the City of Glendale if they were keeping up on all of these developments. I know I’d be concerned about these things if it was happening in my neighborhood, but I don’t so I’ll just take my opinion on this from the outside.
The City of Glendale had to make good on this though because that was all part of the deal, reneging on this deal wouldn’t exactly give the NHL proper motivation to want to help carve them out a deal somehow with Matthew Hulsizer while a potential buyer waits on the sidelines for the green light to cut a check to buy and move the team.
Things are long from over with this situation, but at least this is something that could be construed as good for things in Arizona in its own weird way.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)