May 3, 2011, 2:32 AM EST
Tonight’s Bruins overtime win in Game 2 over Philadelphia didn’t come without incident. With the Bruins having clawed back into the game with the Flyers late in the first period, defenseman Adam McQuaid was looking to make his presence felt in the Bruins defensive end when he went to clear out Flyers captain Mike Richards away from the net. Unfortunately for McQuaid, Richards moved out of the way and McQuaid went into the boards awkwardly, putting the big defender down on the ice.
McQuaid laid on the ice without moving for sometime after connecting with the boards head first and was helped off the ice by the Bruins trainer and teammates. From there he went from the locker room to a Philadelphia hospital to be checked out there.
McQuaid has been a tough defender for the Bruins in the playoffs and his physical presence is a big one. His ability to body up and knock around opposing forwards is useful and the Bruins’ depth on defense is already hurting with Steve Kampfer out with an injury. While he could be back soon, the outlook isn’t so hot for McQuaid at the moment.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 8
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 35
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 18
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32