May 3, 2011, 2:32 AM EDT
Tonight’s Bruins overtime win in Game 2 over Philadelphia didn’t come without incident. With the Bruins having clawed back into the game with the Flyers late in the first period, defenseman Adam McQuaid was looking to make his presence felt in the Bruins defensive end when he went to clear out Flyers captain Mike Richards away from the net. Unfortunately for McQuaid, Richards moved out of the way and McQuaid went into the boards awkwardly, putting the big defender down on the ice.
McQuaid laid on the ice without moving for sometime after connecting with the boards head first and was helped off the ice by the Bruins trainer and teammates. From there he went from the locker room to a Philadelphia hospital to be checked out there.
McQuaid has been a tough defender for the Bruins in the playoffs and his physical presence is a big one. His ability to body up and knock around opposing forwards is useful and the Bruins’ depth on defense is already hurting with Steve Kampfer out with an injury. While he could be back soon, the outlook isn’t so hot for McQuaid at the moment.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32