May 3, 2011, 2:32 AM EST
Tonight’s Bruins overtime win in Game 2 over Philadelphia didn’t come without incident. With the Bruins having clawed back into the game with the Flyers late in the first period, defenseman Adam McQuaid was looking to make his presence felt in the Bruins defensive end when he went to clear out Flyers captain Mike Richards away from the net. Unfortunately for McQuaid, Richards moved out of the way and McQuaid went into the boards awkwardly, putting the big defender down on the ice.
McQuaid laid on the ice without moving for sometime after connecting with the boards head first and was helped off the ice by the Bruins trainer and teammates. From there he went from the locker room to a Philadelphia hospital to be checked out there.
McQuaid has been a tough defender for the Bruins in the playoffs and his physical presence is a big one. His ability to body up and knock around opposing forwards is useful and the Bruins’ depth on defense is already hurting with Steve Kampfer out with an injury. While he could be back soon, the outlook isn’t so hot for McQuaid at the moment.
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 9
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 6
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 35
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 75
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)