May 3, 2011, 11:24 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues are in a transitional period right now. Current owner Dave Checketts is openly shopping the team, and while the team tends to be a solid box office hit, they have struggled to make the playoffs in recent years. (Their only recent run was in 2009, when they were summarily swept by the Vancouver Canucks.)
While there are some signs of change in St. Louis, they’ll remain stable at the top. The team announced that they signed team president John Davidson to a multi-year contract extension today. The terms of the deal were not disclosed.
St. Louis Game Time points out that Davidson’s expiring contract was a five-year, $10 million deal. He took over the helm in 2006. In that time, the team made the playoffs once and fired two coaches. It seems like St. Louis has some potential considering its young, talented (and often gritty) forwards, but it hasn’t been a home run just yet.
This move reminds me a bit of the Buffalo Sabres’ decision to retain GM Darcy Regier while the team was still on sale. We’ll see how both of those situations work out during the next few years.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 18
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 16
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)