May 2, 2011, 12:27 PM EDT
No doubt about it, the Philadelphia Flyers’ goalie carousel has been downright ridiculous through their first eight playoff games. Sure, there have been moments when their netminders have actually played well, but those good times have been overshadowed by the uglier moments. (Which, let’s be honest, have happened with startling frequency.)
CSN Philly reports that the team will go with Brian Boucher – at least to begin with – in Game 2 against the Boston Bruins. The phrase “at least to begin with” is appropriate for the simple reason that Boucher has been pulled from two games already this postseason.
It’s a decent decision for one reason: they’re at least attempting to maintain some stability in net. I thought that the team was a bit hasty in pulling the plug on Sergei Bobrovsky (it seemed a bit harsh to demote him all the way to the No. 3 goalie spot considering all he did for the team in the regular season). However, it’s better late than never when it comes to being patient with their goalie, although it’s unclear if Boucher is the man for the job.
Then again, it’s flat-out wrong to say that goaltending is the Flyers’ only issue. Their defense was shaky and their discipline has been spotty at times, so they need to improve in plenty of areas if they hope to get back in this series against the Bruins. (Game 2 is tonight at 7:30 p.m. ET on Versus, by the way.)
That being said, getting a little help from their goalie(s) would be nice, too.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 53
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 32
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 28
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)