May 2, 2011, 12:27 PM EDT
No doubt about it, the Philadelphia Flyers’ goalie carousel has been downright ridiculous through their first eight playoff games. Sure, there have been moments when their netminders have actually played well, but those good times have been overshadowed by the uglier moments. (Which, let’s be honest, have happened with startling frequency.)
CSN Philly reports that the team will go with Brian Boucher – at least to begin with – in Game 2 against the Boston Bruins. The phrase “at least to begin with” is appropriate for the simple reason that Boucher has been pulled from two games already this postseason.
It’s a decent decision for one reason: they’re at least attempting to maintain some stability in net. I thought that the team was a bit hasty in pulling the plug on Sergei Bobrovsky (it seemed a bit harsh to demote him all the way to the No. 3 goalie spot considering all he did for the team in the regular season). However, it’s better late than never when it comes to being patient with their goalie, although it’s unclear if Boucher is the man for the job.
Then again, it’s flat-out wrong to say that goaltending is the Flyers’ only issue. Their defense was shaky and their discipline has been spotty at times, so they need to improve in plenty of areas if they hope to get back in this series against the Bruins. (Game 2 is tonight at 7:30 p.m. ET on Versus, by the way.)
That being said, getting a little help from their goalie(s) would be nice, too.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)