May 2, 2011, 1:43 PM EST
Norway managed to upset Sweden in their 2011 IIHF World Championships opener and seemed like they had a shot to do the same against the United States this morning. The Norwegians built a quick 2-0 lead going in the first period, but the US ended up being more than they could handle in the final frame. This win allows the United States to advance to the second round.
Nick Palmieri scored two goals (including the game-winner) while Jack Skille and Craig Smith also found the net for the American team. Al Montoya didn’t need to do much for the win, earning only 13 saves. Ken Andre Climb and Anders Bastiansen gave Norway that 2-0 lead with goals a bit more than a minute apart in the first period.
The Czech Republic also advanced to the second round with a 6-0 win against Denmark.
Speaking of that Czech team, it appears that Radek Martinek is in stable condition from that brutal hit by Latvia’s Arturas Kulda. TSN reports that Kulda has been suspended for three games for that check.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 19
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)