May 2, 2011, 1:43 PM EDT
Norway managed to upset Sweden in their 2011 IIHF World Championships opener and seemed like they had a shot to do the same against the United States this morning. The Norwegians built a quick 2-0 lead going in the first period, but the US ended up being more than they could handle in the final frame. This win allows the United States to advance to the second round.
Nick Palmieri scored two goals (including the game-winner) while Jack Skille and Craig Smith also found the net for the American team. Al Montoya didn’t need to do much for the win, earning only 13 saves. Ken Andre Climb and Anders Bastiansen gave Norway that 2-0 lead with goals a bit more than a minute apart in the first period.
The Czech Republic also advanced to the second round with a 6-0 win against Denmark.
Speaking of that Czech team, it appears that Radek Martinek is in stable condition from that brutal hit by Latvia’s Arturas Kulda. TSN reports that Kulda has been suspended for three games for that check.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 22
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 18
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 46
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic