May 1, 2011, 4:58 PM EDT
So far, Tampa Bay Lightning coach Guy Boucher’s scheme seems to be working.
The clever rookie bench boss is playing some interesting mind games in his team’s second round series against the Washington Capitals. Boucher is making a point of praising the Capitals’ talent, calling them a more powerful team and pointing out that a Washington loss would be a “huge failure.”
Sure, Pierre McGuire and Mike Milbury praised Boucher’s defensive system and the Lightning while discussing Game 1, but there was also a focus on what the Capitals failed to do. In other words, the commentary is falling into Boucher’s hands, as it seems like all of the pressure is on Washington.
Check out this video preview of Game 2 of this series, with analysis from Milbury and McGuire along with reactions from Capitals players.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 64
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 29
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15