May 1, 2011, 12:55 PM EST
With a pair of pivotal Game 2 matchups today both the Detroit Red Wings and Washington Capitals are hoping they can avoid going down 2-0 in their respective series. For Detroit going down by two games would be a bit more expected almost given that they’re starting off in San Jose and home teams are supposed to defend home ice. Washington, on the other hand, could be hitting the road down by two games and staring at a dire situation heading to Tampa Bay.
All times are Eastern.
Detroit @ San Jose – 3 p.m. (NBC) – San Jose leads series 1-0
While Detroit didn’t play badly in their Game 1 overtime loss, they certainly could’ve used more of an offensive presence and a stingier defense. Making Jimmy Howard save upwards of 40 shots per game is a good way to play with fire against the offensively gifted Sharks. Scary part now for San Jose is that their big guns of Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, and Dany Heatley haven’t gotten things going as yet. With Ryane Clowe and Joe Pavelski doing their part to score big goals in the playoffs, they haven’t truly been missed. Detroit will look to get Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg free to stir up their own attack and hope that Johan Franzen can start snapping pucks by Antti Niemi.
Tampa Bay @ Washington – 7 p.m. (Versus) – Tampa Bay leads series 1-0
Times will be a bit tougher tonight for Tampa Bay as they’ll be without Pavel Kubina and Simon Gagne for tonight’s game. In their place the Lightning are calling on the Jones boys. Randy Jones and Blair Jones (not related) will draw into the lineup. Expect Tampa Bay to be extra vigilant in trying to make up for their absence as they’ll look to get out ahead early and get Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis into action. Washington, meanwhile, looks like they’ll have John Carlson ready to go after an injury worry in Game 1. Caps are hoping they can get the same kind of offensive jump they had in Game 1 but to sustain that pressure throughout the game. They’ll need Alex Ovechkin to step up bigger and for Michal Neuvirth to rebound stronger in goal.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 61
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)