May 1, 2011, 12:55 PM EDT
With a pair of pivotal Game 2 matchups today both the Detroit Red Wings and Washington Capitals are hoping they can avoid going down 2-0 in their respective series. For Detroit going down by two games would be a bit more expected almost given that they’re starting off in San Jose and home teams are supposed to defend home ice. Washington, on the other hand, could be hitting the road down by two games and staring at a dire situation heading to Tampa Bay.
All times are Eastern.
Detroit @ San Jose – 3 p.m. (NBC) – San Jose leads series 1-0
While Detroit didn’t play badly in their Game 1 overtime loss, they certainly could’ve used more of an offensive presence and a stingier defense. Making Jimmy Howard save upwards of 40 shots per game is a good way to play with fire against the offensively gifted Sharks. Scary part now for San Jose is that their big guns of Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, and Dany Heatley haven’t gotten things going as yet. With Ryane Clowe and Joe Pavelski doing their part to score big goals in the playoffs, they haven’t truly been missed. Detroit will look to get Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg free to stir up their own attack and hope that Johan Franzen can start snapping pucks by Antti Niemi.
Tampa Bay @ Washington – 7 p.m. (Versus) – Tampa Bay leads series 1-0
Times will be a bit tougher tonight for Tampa Bay as they’ll be without Pavel Kubina and Simon Gagne for tonight’s game. In their place the Lightning are calling on the Jones boys. Randy Jones and Blair Jones (not related) will draw into the lineup. Expect Tampa Bay to be extra vigilant in trying to make up for their absence as they’ll look to get out ahead early and get Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis into action. Washington, meanwhile, looks like they’ll have John Carlson ready to go after an injury worry in Game 1. Caps are hoping they can get the same kind of offensive jump they had in Game 1 but to sustain that pressure throughout the game. They’ll need Alex Ovechkin to step up bigger and for Michal Neuvirth to rebound stronger in goal.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 17
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)