May 1, 2011, 7:36 PM EST
While the Tampa Bay Lightning’s lineup is lighter with Simon Gagne and Pavel Kubina on the shelf, the Washington Capitals received a pleasant surprise tonight. After missing three games (Games 4 and 5 against the New York Rangers plus Game 1 against the Lightning), Mike Knuble is back in the Caps lineup tonight. He was dealing with what many thought was a hand injury.
He’s playing on his familiar place alongside Alex Ovechkin‘s top line so far. Neither team scored a goal yet (at the time of this story’s completion), but Knuble already made an impact on the game. The two-way forward took exception to a Mattias Ohlund hit on Ovechkin, landing an off-the-puck check that earned him an interference penalty.
Knuble’s greatest offensive asset is his ability to score goals in front of goalies, which upgrades his already-considerable value during the playoffs. The Capitals cannot afford to go down 2-0 on their own ice tonight, so getting a player like Knuble back in the fold would be very helpful in tying the series.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)