May 1, 2011, 7:36 PM EDT
While the Tampa Bay Lightning’s lineup is lighter with Simon Gagne and Pavel Kubina on the shelf, the Washington Capitals received a pleasant surprise tonight. After missing three games (Games 4 and 5 against the New York Rangers plus Game 1 against the Lightning), Mike Knuble is back in the Caps lineup tonight. He was dealing with what many thought was a hand injury.
He’s playing on his familiar place alongside Alex Ovechkin‘s top line so far. Neither team scored a goal yet (at the time of this story’s completion), but Knuble already made an impact on the game. The two-way forward took exception to a Mattias Ohlund hit on Ovechkin, landing an off-the-puck check that earned him an interference penalty.
Knuble’s greatest offensive asset is his ability to score goals in front of goalies, which upgrades his already-considerable value during the playoffs. The Capitals cannot afford to go down 2-0 on their own ice tonight, so getting a player like Knuble back in the fold would be very helpful in tying the series.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (40)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)