May 1, 2011, 7:36 PM EST
While the Tampa Bay Lightning’s lineup is lighter with Simon Gagne and Pavel Kubina on the shelf, the Washington Capitals received a pleasant surprise tonight. After missing three games (Games 4 and 5 against the New York Rangers plus Game 1 against the Lightning), Mike Knuble is back in the Caps lineup tonight. He was dealing with what many thought was a hand injury.
He’s playing on his familiar place alongside Alex Ovechkin‘s top line so far. Neither team scored a goal yet (at the time of this story’s completion), but Knuble already made an impact on the game. The two-way forward took exception to a Mattias Ohlund hit on Ovechkin, landing an off-the-puck check that earned him an interference penalty.
Knuble’s greatest offensive asset is his ability to score goals in front of goalies, which upgrades his already-considerable value during the playoffs. The Capitals cannot afford to go down 2-0 on their own ice tonight, so getting a player like Knuble back in the fold would be very helpful in tying the series.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 16
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)