May 1, 2011, 1:46 PM EDT
It’s turning out to be a really good thing that the Lightning won Game 1 of their series with Washington because they’ll be working at quite the disadvantage in Game 2 tonight. We saw Simon Gagne leave Game 1 after hitting his head on the ice after taking a hard check and while that scene was scary, the assumption was that he’d miss some time. The same was the case for Pavel Kubina after taking a hit from Jason Chimera in Game 1 that put him out of the game.
Both of those players will be out of tonight’s Game 2 in Washington and in their place a pair of Joneses will help fill their spots as Randy Jones will slot into Kubina’s place on the blue line and Blair Jones will take Gagne’s spot. For both Randy and Blair Jones (they’re unrelated) it will be their first appearances in these playoffs.
Tampa Bay’s style is a tight-knit one that allows for holes to be filled seamlessly but clearly the Joneses are a step down from what Kubina and Gagne can bring to the lineup. Gagne’s had seven points so far in the playoffs (2 goals, 5 assists) good for fourth on the team. Thankfully for the Lightning they’ve been getting big production out of their third line with Dominic Moore and Sean Bergenheim as well as stunning production from Steve Downie. Lightning coach Guy Boucher is hopeful that both Kubina and Gagne can play in Game 3.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)