May 1, 2011, 5:20 PM EST
While neither team was able to crack through on the scoreboard in the second period, it was the Sharks who dominated play throughout the frame. San Jose picked up where they left off at the end of the first period and turned the play on the Wings to the tune of 19 shots on goal. With that kind of action swarming around the Detroit net, the Wings needed Jimmy Howard to come up huge and he did just that stopping all 19 shots in the period and preserving a 1-0 deficit.
Detroit was outshot 19-9 in the second period and while Antti Niemi didn’t have much work to do in the second he too was outstanding in keeping his shutout in tact.
It wasn’t all sunshines and rainbows and goaltending though as the snarl picked up a bit too thanks to Todd Bertuzzi and Ben Eager. Bertuzzi drew the ire of the Sharks after a hit on Dany Heatley. Ben Eager noticed that and scuffled a bit with Bertuzzi as both guys headed off with matching roughing penalties. After their penalties expired, Eager went after Bertuzzi again only this time Bertuzzi resisted completely as Eager headed off with a ten-minute misconduct.
With the game being as close as it is, don’t expect too much more of that sort of stuff as the Wings need to get a goal to get back into this game. The Sharks will be busy trying to keep the Wings on their heels and defending. The third period should be a real fun one.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 25
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 8
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)