May 1, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT
While neither team was able to crack through on the scoreboard in the second period, it was the Sharks who dominated play throughout the frame. San Jose picked up where they left off at the end of the first period and turned the play on the Wings to the tune of 19 shots on goal. With that kind of action swarming around the Detroit net, the Wings needed Jimmy Howard to come up huge and he did just that stopping all 19 shots in the period and preserving a 1-0 deficit.
Detroit was outshot 19-9 in the second period and while Antti Niemi didn’t have much work to do in the second he too was outstanding in keeping his shutout in tact.
It wasn’t all sunshines and rainbows and goaltending though as the snarl picked up a bit too thanks to Todd Bertuzzi and Ben Eager. Bertuzzi drew the ire of the Sharks after a hit on Dany Heatley. Ben Eager noticed that and scuffled a bit with Bertuzzi as both guys headed off with matching roughing penalties. After their penalties expired, Eager went after Bertuzzi again only this time Bertuzzi resisted completely as Eager headed off with a ten-minute misconduct.
With the game being as close as it is, don’t expect too much more of that sort of stuff as the Wings need to get a goal to get back into this game. The Sharks will be busy trying to keep the Wings on their heels and defending. The third period should be a real fun one.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)