May 1, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT
While neither team was able to crack through on the scoreboard in the second period, it was the Sharks who dominated play throughout the frame. San Jose picked up where they left off at the end of the first period and turned the play on the Wings to the tune of 19 shots on goal. With that kind of action swarming around the Detroit net, the Wings needed Jimmy Howard to come up huge and he did just that stopping all 19 shots in the period and preserving a 1-0 deficit.
Detroit was outshot 19-9 in the second period and while Antti Niemi didn’t have much work to do in the second he too was outstanding in keeping his shutout in tact.
It wasn’t all sunshines and rainbows and goaltending though as the snarl picked up a bit too thanks to Todd Bertuzzi and Ben Eager. Bertuzzi drew the ire of the Sharks after a hit on Dany Heatley. Ben Eager noticed that and scuffled a bit with Bertuzzi as both guys headed off with matching roughing penalties. After their penalties expired, Eager went after Bertuzzi again only this time Bertuzzi resisted completely as Eager headed off with a ten-minute misconduct.
With the game being as close as it is, don’t expect too much more of that sort of stuff as the Wings need to get a goal to get back into this game. The Sharks will be busy trying to keep the Wings on their heels and defending. The third period should be a real fun one.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)