May 1, 2011, 8:11 PM EDT
Maybe it’s a sign that I lack a certain level of sentimentality, but I’ve always been bewildered when a piece of merchandise is sold for more than a luxury car (or, in some cheaper areas, the price of a house). For example, I think that a puck that hits a net during a historic moment is just a coincidental piece of vulcanized rubber.
While it’s a tough thing to understand, there’s no doubt that the collectible auctions generate some whopping purchases. Puck Daddy’s Sean Leahy shares this stunner: a Wayne Gretzky rookie card was auctioned off for a ridiculous sum of $94,163. Leahy reports that this figure is a record for modern cards, while Newsy Lalonde and Georges Vezina’s cards are tied for the all-time mark of $100K.
Leahy reports that Gretzky’s 1977 contract with Sault Ste. Marie (Soo) Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey Association was auctioned off for $22,039.20 as well.
No doubt about it, that card and that contract have skyrocketed in value over the decades. Then again, when it comes to Gretzky’s legacy, we shouldn’t be surprised.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)