May 1, 2011, 8:11 PM EDT
Maybe it’s a sign that I lack a certain level of sentimentality, but I’ve always been bewildered when a piece of merchandise is sold for more than a luxury car (or, in some cheaper areas, the price of a house). For example, I think that a puck that hits a net during a historic moment is just a coincidental piece of vulcanized rubber.
While it’s a tough thing to understand, there’s no doubt that the collectible auctions generate some whopping purchases. Puck Daddy’s Sean Leahy shares this stunner: a Wayne Gretzky rookie card was auctioned off for a ridiculous sum of $94,163. Leahy reports that this figure is a record for modern cards, while Newsy Lalonde and Georges Vezina’s cards are tied for the all-time mark of $100K.
Leahy reports that Gretzky’s 1977 contract with Sault Ste. Marie (Soo) Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey Association was auctioned off for $22,039.20 as well.
No doubt about it, that card and that contract have skyrocketed in value over the decades. Then again, when it comes to Gretzky’s legacy, we shouldn’t be surprised.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)