May 1, 2011, 8:11 PM EDT
Maybe it’s a sign that I lack a certain level of sentimentality, but I’ve always been bewildered when a piece of merchandise is sold for more than a luxury car (or, in some cheaper areas, the price of a house). For example, I think that a puck that hits a net during a historic moment is just a coincidental piece of vulcanized rubber.
While it’s a tough thing to understand, there’s no doubt that the collectible auctions generate some whopping purchases. Puck Daddy’s Sean Leahy shares this stunner: a Wayne Gretzky rookie card was auctioned off for a ridiculous sum of $94,163. Leahy reports that this figure is a record for modern cards, while Newsy Lalonde and Georges Vezina’s cards are tied for the all-time mark of $100K.
Leahy reports that Gretzky’s 1977 contract with Sault Ste. Marie (Soo) Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey Association was auctioned off for $22,039.20 as well.
No doubt about it, that card and that contract have skyrocketed in value over the decades. Then again, when it comes to Gretzky’s legacy, we shouldn’t be surprised.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 0
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 15
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)