May 1, 2011, 8:11 PM EST
Maybe it’s a sign that I lack a certain level of sentimentality, but I’ve always been bewildered when a piece of merchandise is sold for more than a luxury car (or, in some cheaper areas, the price of a house). For example, I think that a puck that hits a net during a historic moment is just a coincidental piece of vulcanized rubber.
While it’s a tough thing to understand, there’s no doubt that the collectible auctions generate some whopping purchases. Puck Daddy’s Sean Leahy shares this stunner: a Wayne Gretzky rookie card was auctioned off for a ridiculous sum of $94,163. Leahy reports that this figure is a record for modern cards, while Newsy Lalonde and Georges Vezina’s cards are tied for the all-time mark of $100K.
Leahy reports that Gretzky’s 1977 contract with Sault Ste. Marie (Soo) Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey Association was auctioned off for $22,039.20 as well.
No doubt about it, that card and that contract have skyrocketed in value over the decades. Then again, when it comes to Gretzky’s legacy, we shouldn’t be surprised.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 60
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 87
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (87)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (79)