May 1, 2011, 8:11 PM EDT
Maybe it’s a sign that I lack a certain level of sentimentality, but I’ve always been bewildered when a piece of merchandise is sold for more than a luxury car (or, in some cheaper areas, the price of a house). For example, I think that a puck that hits a net during a historic moment is just a coincidental piece of vulcanized rubber.
While it’s a tough thing to understand, there’s no doubt that the collectible auctions generate some whopping purchases. Puck Daddy’s Sean Leahy shares this stunner: a Wayne Gretzky rookie card was auctioned off for a ridiculous sum of $94,163. Leahy reports that this figure is a record for modern cards, while Newsy Lalonde and Georges Vezina’s cards are tied for the all-time mark of $100K.
Leahy reports that Gretzky’s 1977 contract with Sault Ste. Marie (Soo) Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey Association was auctioned off for $22,039.20 as well.
No doubt about it, that card and that contract have skyrocketed in value over the decades. Then again, when it comes to Gretzky’s legacy, we shouldn’t be surprised.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)