Apr 30, 2011, 4:17 PM EDT
David Krejci came into this 2011 series with unfinished business from 2010. As you may remember, Mike Richards caught Krejci with an open-ice hit that ended Krecji’s playoff run in Game 3 of that second round. That ended up being the last win Boston earned in the ’10 playoffs.
Boston 2, Philadelphia 1
Flyers fans had to cringe at just how quickly the Bruins went on top. Krejci scored about two minutes into the game by taking advantage of some lax defense by the Flyers. It seemed like the Bruins were showing some deft timing with their counter punches against Philly‘s aggressive play.
Speaking of aggressiveness, the tone of the game seemed to change thanks to Chris Pronger. Pronger went into his own end to try to touch the puck for an icing call and then took exception to Daniel Paille‘s physical attempt to get the puck. Pronger clearly slashed Paille after that interchange, prompting the officials to give both players coincidental minor penalties. Pronger’s rage wasn’t contained just yet, though, as he also shoved Shawn Thornton on his way to the penalty box.
There was one tough moment for Horton, though, as Danny Briere sneaked away from the big forward during a 4-on-4 to bang home a loose puck for his playoff-leading seventh goal. Briere increased his post-lockout playoff point total to a stunning 92 points.
Horton (and his line) made amends for that one slip-up as he gave the Bruins a 2-1 lead with about 30 seconds left in the first period. He managed to get the puck in net even as Boucher seemed to swat at the puck with his glove a couple times.
It’s easy to blame Boucher for those two goals – and he wasn’t perfect – but the Flyers need to find a way to slow down that Lucic-Krejci-Horton line if they hope to beat Boston once again. If the first period is any indication, this should be an awfully fun series.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 0
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 2
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 10
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 26
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 12
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 68
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination