Apr 30, 2011, 5:14 PM EDT
Going into this series, the obvious problem for the Philadelphia Flyers was their goaltending. That trend continued through the first two periods of today’s Game 1 match against the Boston Bruins, as Brian Boucher didn’t make it through the middle frame.
Boston 5, Philadelphia 2
The Bruins deserve credit for building this lead, though. As we discussed during the first intermission, the Nathan Horton-David Krejci-Milan Lucic line is more than the Flyers can handle. Krejci added another goal to his points total by deflecting an Adam McQuaid shot. The real heartbreaker came before that, though, as Mark Recchi gave the Bruins a 3-1 lead 2:33 into the middle frame.
Brad Marchand‘s rebound goal made it 5-1, chasing Boucher from the Bruins’ net. It almost seemed like a light switch went off once Sergei Bobrovsky took Boucher’s place, though, as James van Riemsdyk scored his fifth goal of the playoffs just 16 seconds later to make it 5-2.
It’s not just the Flyers goaltending that is an issue, as the Bruins are winning most of the puck battles and that top line is just dominating Philadelphia right now. Really, the only negative for Boston is that their power play is still impotent, as they went 0-for-4 in the first two periods to bring their total to 0-for-25.
One must note that the Flyers have the firepower to come back, but three goals is a lot to ask in one period. They’ll need an early goal or two for this third period to be more than just a 20 minute opportunity to send messages for Game 2 and the series in general. Don’t assume that they can’t make a game of this one, though.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 7
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 17
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner