Apr 30, 2011, 5:14 PM EDT
Going into this series, the obvious problem for the Philadelphia Flyers was their goaltending. That trend continued through the first two periods of today’s Game 1 match against the Boston Bruins, as Brian Boucher didn’t make it through the middle frame.
Boston 5, Philadelphia 2
The Bruins deserve credit for building this lead, though. As we discussed during the first intermission, the Nathan Horton–David Krejci–Milan Lucic line is more than the Flyers can handle. Krejci added another goal to his points total by deflecting an Adam McQuaid shot. The real heartbreaker came before that, though, as Mark Recchi gave the Bruins a 3-1 lead 2:33 into the middle frame.
Brad Marchand‘s rebound goal made it 5-1, chasing Boucher from the Bruins’ net. It almost seemed like a light switch went off once Sergei Bobrovsky took Boucher’s place, though, as James van Riemsdyk scored his fifth goal of the playoffs just 16 seconds later to make it 5-2.
It’s not just the Flyers goaltending that is an issue, as the Bruins are winning most of the puck battles and that top line is just dominating Philadelphia right now. Really, the only negative for Boston is that their power play is still impotent, as they went 0-for-4 in the first two periods to bring their total to 0-for-25.
One must note that the Flyers have the firepower to come back, but three goals is a lot to ask in one period. They’ll need an early goal or two for this third period to be more than just a 20 minute opportunity to send messages for Game 2 and the series in general. Don’t assume that they can’t make a game of this one, though.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)