Sidney Crosby suffered setback in comeback from concussion

Apr 29, 2011, 2:35 PM EDT

Sidney Crosby, Jordan Staal AP

It’s been almost too quiet on the Sidney Crosby front and now with the Penguins out of the playoffs, the summer will be a bit longer than normal in Pittsburgh. While that’s good news for Crosby in his efforts to get healthy after suffering a concussion in January, as the team packed up for the summer to head home we found out a bit of information that comes as a surprise.

During Crosby’s efforts to make a comeback from his concussion in the playoffs, it turns out the Penguins captain suffered a setback in his training and had to stop skating with the team.

Penguins GM Ray Shero took a very practical approach in looking at the news of Crosby’s setback.

“The great news is that he’s got all kinds of time on his side right now,” Shero said. “Dr. (Micky) Collins expects a full recovery, it’s just a matter of time with this injury. I’m not concerned about it. With the season ending, it’s disappointing, but from Sid’s standpoint, the pressure and the question of when he’ll come back goes away, and now he can go back to healing and feeling good about himself.”

The news is disappointing considering Crosby’s been hurt since early January. With concussions being such a fickle and inexact injury to pinpoint and treat appropriately, the news that he hit a bump in the road is disheartening. Crosby was well on his way to an MVP-type season and one that very likely would’ve been his best as a professional. Instead, all it took was a collision with David Steckel and a hit from Victor Hedman to put an end to his season and on the long road to recovery.

On the upside, Crosby will have no stress during the offseason to take his time to get ready for a hopeful return next season. With training camps opening in September, Crosby has five months to put the concussion symptoms behind him, hopefully, for good. The Penguins were able to continue winning without both Crosby and Evgeni Malkin thanks to Dan Bylsma’s ability as a coach to keep steering the ship straight in a disaster, an effort that earned him a shot at the Jack Adams Trophy as coach of the year this year. Bylsma would love to have his job made a lot easier next year in getting both of those guys back into the lineup and get back to scoring goals.

For now, the summer turns into an extended waiting process to see how Crosby progresses and whether or not he sees any more setbacks in his recovery and if he can get back to doing what he does best.

1. abrienza428 - Apr 29, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Very unfortunate. Nobody works harder than this guy.
    The league is definitely worse off without him, so here’s hoping he’s at full strength next season.

2. stakex - Apr 29, 2011 at 3:39 PM

You know, I hate Crosby. I think hes a crybaby, a diver, and the league/media do everything they can to over blow how good he really is (Crosby is FAR from Gretzky… despite many claims to the contrary).

But despite the fact that I hate Crosby, I still don’t want to see him turn into the next Lindros. I’d rather hate him while hes playing, then see his career get derailed by injury. Hopefully hes better for next season, but a concussion lasting this long is not a good thing for a long career, and its really bad when your a top tier goal scorer.

• tk1966 - Apr 29, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I guess you don’t actually watch hockey; you only comment it.
      Crosby hasn’t been a whiner or a diver since he was in his first or second year in the league – thats been a few years ago.

• stakex - Apr 29, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I most certainly watch more hockey then you… I promis. Every single Pittsburgh game I see, Crosby spends more time yelling at the refs then anything else. Hell, watch the HBO series and you can see it plain as day. Hard to not call him a crybaby. As for not being a diver…. please. If you get near Crosby he goes down like a sniper shot him from the rafters. There is no way in hell he is as weak on his skates as he seems most games.

If he just shut up, stayed on his feet, and played the game… he would be better for it.

• derpdederpdederp - Apr 29, 2011 at 7:04 PM

“Crosby hasn’t been a whiner or a diver since he was in his first or second year ”

remember when ovechkin scored a hat trick and sid asked the ref to tell the fans to stop throwing hats. that counts as whining in my books

all that aside, its playoff time and until it looks like crosby is going to return anything concerning him is a non-story. lets focus on the guys actually playing right now

3. sknut - Apr 29, 2011 at 4:11 PM

I hope we can see him next year its not good for the league to have a marquee player out unfortunately though concussions have no timeline. Heres hoping that the Penguins protect Crosby and takes his time to get back. I also think we will see more emphasis on equipment changes to hopefully help.

4. jpelle82 - Apr 30, 2011 at 9:49 AM

stakex…ovechkin cries at the refs just as much if not more than crosby…i live in NOVA and see caps games on the regular. he is the captain just like ovechkin…its their job to talk to the refs.

5. macjacmccoy - Apr 30, 2011 at 1:00 PM

So the fact that the guy couldnt get healthy and his team got knocked out of round 1 of playoffs should make him feel better about himself? Wow who ever said that is a born loser a winner would never said that. It is gonna make Crosby feel worse not better that his team is now out of the playoffs.

6. m1k3g - Apr 30, 2011 at 2:21 PM

All this ‘crybaby’ BS is ridiculous. Show me *1* single game where NO players complain to an official. To say he does it any more often than any other player is a pretty ludicrous assertion because let’s be honest, there’s really no evidence to back it up if you’re not on the ice.

The fact that statex uses 24/7 as his end all, be all ‘proof’ pretty much sums it up. Hey statex, when’s the last time HBO or any other camera crew followed around any other team for a month and showed uncensored footage like what you saw on HBO? So basically you’re comparing what you saw in the 24/7 series to… NOTHING. You should win an award.

And as far as the diving goes, I don’t see it. The only people I have ever heard make this accusation of him are people that simply don’t like him (i.e. Flyers, Caps fans, etc).

Even Don Cherry has changed his tune on Sid from when he first entered the league.

The real crybabies are all of you who hate on him for no reason.

• snoboarder92201 - May 3, 2011 at 1:58 PM

You’re an idiot

• flyersgirl68 - May 26, 2011 at 5:14 PM

I happen to be a flyers fan and I am offended by your statement. I love the sport and I hate to see any player hurt. I do not hate Crosby and I do not like the fact that you are stereo typing. When in all actuality it is most sport fans that argue with each other over “their team” that is childish, I refuse to battle with someone over something that is an entertainment for me. I nor you have anything to do with the teams we support except make them money. So glass house stop throwing stones before you break a window.

• m1k3g - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I’ll try to remember that every time I hear the crowd scream “Crosby sucks” in Philly.

The organ player starts the chant when he plays that same tune on the organ over and over. When the Pens are in town, he knows EXACTLY what the crowd is gonna scream after those 3 notes come out of the speakers.

I never said a single Flyers fan cheered for Crosby to be hurt….

However, when you speak of Flyers fans, you’re mostly talking about the same people who cheered when the Cowboys’ Michael Irvin went down with a neck injury (yes – they cheered as he was being put on a board and carted off the field). The injury basically ended his career.

You’re also mostly talking about people like the Phillies fan that intentionally puked on an 11 year old girl at a game last year.

Did I forget to mention that they threw ice chunks and snowballs at Santa Claus at an Eagles game?

Sorry, but you’ll have to forgive me for not ‘assuming the best’ when it comes to Philly’s sports fans.

7. ihateannouncers - May 4, 2011 at 2:41 PM

….”You know, I hate Crosby. I think hes a crybaby, a diver, and the league/media do everything they can to over blow how good he really is…”
    ==========================================================================
    Every captain whines to the ref’s, that is part of their job. Every star dives now and then because it works.
    Don’t blame Crosby for the media attention, or the fact that some are trying to drum up league support by making him the next ‘greatest of all time’. He has no control over that. Bottom line is YOU WOULD LOVE TO HAVE HIM ON YOUR TEAM. He IS that good of a player. That is not overblown.

• m1k3g - May 4, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Sid’s the best player in the world right now. Caps are about to make what, their third straight pre-Conference Final exit from the playoffs. Ovechkin has been virtually INVISIBLE all season (regular and playoffs).

Sid has
      2 Cup final appearances.
      1 Stanley Cup
      1 Olympic gold medal

Ovechkin has

….
      well if their was a cup handed out for ‘best picture of a half naked athlete sitting in another man’s lap’, Ovi wins hands down!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. J. Quick (1383)
  2. S. Bennett (1328)
  3. K. Timonen (1185)
  4. P. Rinne (1177)
  5. N. Niederreiter (1168)