Apr 29, 2011, 3:04 AM EST
It goes down in the books as a 1-0 loss for Nashville against Vancouver in Game 1 of their second round playoff battle, but for Predators coach Barry Trotz, he demands better of his team at all times and what he got out of his team was a rather lackluster effort.
While Pekka Rinne was outstanding in stopping 29 shots for Nashville, Trotz had a bone to pick with just about everyone else that hit the ice for Nashville on Thursday night.
After the game, Trotz spoke up and threw his team to the wolves for what he believes was a very poor effort in Game 1. NHL.com’s Dan Rosen got the vitriol from the only head coach in Predators history as he spoke his mind about how things went in the opening game of the Western Conference semifinals.
You mad, coach?
“Yeah, I am, and I think there is a lot of guys in that room that should be pissed off,” Trotz said from the podium. “We always talk about winning as a group, and the biggest disappointment you can have is when you have an expectation from someone who you want to go forward with every night and they’re letting you down. We had too many passengers, not enough guys pulling on the rope. We are in the Conference Semifinal. Are you kidding me? Not acceptable.”
As for who he might’ve been talking about, it might be easier to find guys he thought played well instead. Of those that had poor games, defensively you can single out defensemen Kevin Klein and rookie Jonathon Blum who couldn’t clear out the likes of Christopher Higgins and Maxim Lapierre away from the net on the only goal of the game.
You can throw any one who took a faceoff in the game on that list as well as the Canucks dominated on draws all night long. Jerred Smithson was the one guy able to win draws consistently winning seven out of ten. Others fared much poorer. Mike Fisher was 10-24 and David Legwand was 4-18. Those numbers must improve.
A 1-0 loss doesn’t seem indicative of major problems generally, but Trotz demands the best out of his team and considering the Predators piled up just 20 shots on the game as well as having those other problems, he’s making sure to nip any problems in the bud now. There’s a reason why Trotz has been a head coach in Nashville as long as he has and calling his team out like this is a reason why. Don’t expect Nashville to play with kid gloves in Game 2 on Saturday.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:36 AM EST
They beat the Sharks 3-2 via a shootout.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
His Bruins beat Calgary 2-1 on Tuesday.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 PM EST
Ben Scrivens must feel a little less special.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:14 PM EST
He said this is his worst stretch with the team.
Dec 10, 2013, 10:36 PM EST
Dec 10, 2013, 10:33 PM EST
Nashville ends a five-game skid.
Dec 10, 2013, 10:02 PM EST
Dec 10, 2013, 9:30 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin made the Lightning pay.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:24 PM EST
At least he made it longer than Braden Holtby.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:08 PM EST
Martin Jones and Ben Scrivens are holding down the fort.
Dec 10, 2013, 7:47 PM EST
Mike Green also gets a game misconduct.
Dec 10, 2013, 7:12 PM EST
GMs sing his praises, too.
Dec 10, 2013, 6:52 PM EST
It won’t happen in 2014-15, though.
Dec 10, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
It’s a hot-button issue in the wake of Saturday’s Boston-Pittsburgh game.
Dec 10, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
Phoenix has just two wins in its last eight.
Dec 10, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Former first-round pick on his way to Norfolk.
Dec 10, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
We’re about to find out.
Dec 10, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
A loaded Detroit roster gets… more loaded.
Dec 10, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
‘Hawks no like.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
For the second time this season.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)