Apr 28, 2011, 11:57 AM EDT
As it turns out, the 2011 Stanley Cup playoffs aren’t the only major hockey event that Versus will cover. The network will air at least 11 games from the 75th Annual Men’s International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) World Championships, beginning on Saturday, April 30, at 10 a.m. ET. This marks the first time Versus will provide coverage of the event.
The network reports that it will televise a substantial amount of games from the tournament, “including four preliminary- round games, at least three qualification-round games and at least one quarterfinal game.” Versus says that it will air every game by the U.S. team if it advances beyond the first round, but even if it doesn’t make it to the semifinals, the network will still air those two games (on May 13) as well as the gold medal game (May 15).
There will also be studio updates before, during and after the games. Bill Pidto and Matt Loughli will rotate as hosts alongside New Jersey Devils/American hockey star Zach Parise.
Here’s a look at how the preliminary round and its 16-team pool will look, along with an outline of how the first four games of coverage might look on Versus.
There are a total of 16 teams participating in the round-robin tournament which are placed in four groups to play in the preliminary round. The top three teams in each group will advance to the qualification round, while the last team in each group competes in the relegation round, where the top two teams will automatically qualify for the next year’s World Championships. Preliminary round groups:
Group A (Bratislava): Russia, Slovakia, Germany, Slovenia
Group B (Košice): Canada, Switzerland, Belarus, France
Group C (Košice): Sweden, United States, Norway, Austria
Group D (Bratislava): Finland, Czech Republic, Latvia, Denmark
VERSUS’ preliminary round coverage of the 2011 World Championships is as follows (all times ET, subject to change):
Saturday, April 30 — USA-Austria (Live) — 10 a.m.
Monday, May 2 — USA-Norway (Live) — 10 a.m.
Tuesday, May 3 — Canada-Switzerland — TBD
Wednesday, May 4 — USA-Sweden — TBD
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 58
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 26
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 6
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 5
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 12
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)