Apr 28, 2011, 2:05 PM EDT
During the playoffs, NHL teams are almost comically cryptic when describing injuries. In most cases, you’re lucky to get a read on which half of a players body has been harmed.
That’s one of the strange things about the days after a round is completed: teams and players start to admit what was actually wrong. Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller told media members that concussion issues forced him to miss most of the 2010-11 season’s final four games.
It only makes sense that Miller was dealing with a serious injury considering the fact that he missed some absolutely huge games for the Sabres. Buffalo was fighting for playoff survival toward the end of the season, but backup Jhonas Enroth was good enough to help them lock up the seventh seed.
Miller told reporters that he suffered from those issues because of four shots that hit him in the head during a one-week span, with slap shots from Brian Rolston and Dion Phaneuf doing the greatest amount of damage.
He had an up-and-down series against the Flyers, earning two shutouts but also allowing nine goals in the last two games.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 59
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal