Apr 28, 2011, 4:17 PM EDT
Earlier this week, we received word that the Buffalo Sabres will play an exhibition game in Mannheim, Germany on October 4. That won’t be the only news regarding the 2011 Premiere Challenge’s exhibition schedule, as the league announced that the New York Rangers will face HC Sparta Prague on Thursday, September 29. The contest will take place at TESLA Arena in Prague, Czech Republic.
Vinny Prospal is the only Czech Republic native on the Rangers roster and he’ll be an unrestricted free agent, so it’s unclear if the Rangers will be able to win over the crowd with returning home heroes. (The Sabres won’t have that problem since they employ Mannheim, Germany native Jochen Hecht.)
This won’t be the Rangers’ only game in Europe, as they’re also set to begin the regular season overseas. They’ll play the first two games of their 2011-12 season at the Ericsson Globe Arena in Stockholm, Sweden, with an October 7 game against the Los Angeles Kings and an October 8 contest versus the Anaheim Ducks. Something tells me that Henrik Lundqvist will have a few people cheering for him in those games, by the way.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5