Apr 27, 2011, 8:37 PM EDT
Citing a 27-16 disparity in penalty calls through the first six games of his team’s series against the Chicago Blackhawks, Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis had enough. Gillis spoke out to the media before Game 7, calling for an “even playing field” while griping about a Bryan Bickell hit on Kevin Bieska.
It seemed like Gillis was going to get off the hook for his remarks, but the NHL changed its mind today and handed him a fine for an undisclosed amount, according to various sources.
Obviously it’s tough to know how much Gillis regrets his remarks without knowing the amount of the fine, but my guess is that he’s fine with his decision. Especially with the bottom line reality being that his team survived a serious scare to make it to the second round of the playoffs.
Both the Canucks and Blackhawks received two penalties each in the game. Even with a rare penalty on Alex Burrows very early in the overtime period, it seemed like the referees “let them play the game” last night. It’s much more likely that they did so because of the stakes in a Game 7 rather than the criticisms laid out by Gillis, but you never know. Maybe his comments shined just that extra bit of spotlight on the officials’ performance.
Either way, something tells me that Gillis is in a good mood today, even if his wallet is a little lighter.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)