Apr 27, 2011, 8:37 PM EDT
Citing a 27-16 disparity in penalty calls through the first six games of his team’s series against the Chicago Blackhawks, Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis had enough. Gillis spoke out to the media before Game 7, calling for an “even playing field” while griping about a Bryan Bickell hit on Kevin Bieska.
It seemed like Gillis was going to get off the hook for his remarks, but the NHL changed its mind today and handed him a fine for an undisclosed amount, according to various sources.
Obviously it’s tough to know how much Gillis regrets his remarks without knowing the amount of the fine, but my guess is that he’s fine with his decision. Especially with the bottom line reality being that his team survived a serious scare to make it to the second round of the playoffs.
Both the Canucks and Blackhawks received two penalties each in the game. Even with a rare penalty on Alex Burrows very early in the overtime period, it seemed like the referees “let them play the game” last night. It’s much more likely that they did so because of the stakes in a Game 7 rather than the criticisms laid out by Gillis, but you never know. Maybe his comments shined just that extra bit of spotlight on the officials’ performance.
Either way, something tells me that Gillis is in a good mood today, even if his wallet is a little lighter.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)