Apr 27, 2011, 1:06 AM EDT
In the night’s first Game 7 the drama never really got going as the Flyers made efficient work of the Sabres and took them out in Game 7 with a 5-2 win. The Flyers got out to a roaring start in the first period outshooting Buffalo 16-2 in the period on the way to taking a 1-0 lead thanks to Braydon Coburn scoring a soft goal from the point that Ryan Miller couldn’t close his five hole fast enough to stop. That goal and the shots in the period set the tone for the rest of the game as the Flyers opened it up in the second.
Former Sabre Daniel Briere continued to be a thorn in Buffalo’s side making it 2-0 4:45 into the period. James van Riemsdyk would make it 3-0 late in the second on a power play goal. With the score at 3-0, things got tenuous as that score has been the bogeyman throughout the playoffs for any team in the lead. The Flyers would make it stick.
Ville Leino scored 1:59 into the third to make it 4-0 and then chase Ryan Miller from the game. The Sabres would score to break the shutout thanks to Tyler Myers, but Dan Carcillo would add a goal to make it 5-1. Brad Boyes would add a power play goal late to make it look more respectable, but the Flyers dominated Buffalo all through the game.
The Flyers sustained pressure all game long and made the Sabres have to burrow in defensively to try and help Miller. Unfortunately for Buffalo, Miller seemed off his game and rattled by the swarming presence Philadelphia brought all game long. The entire Sabres roster tonight didn’t seem to know how to handle the Flyers forcing their play upon them.
Flat out, the Flyers finally looked like the team that had dominated the Eastern Conference for most of the season. Not since February or March have we seen them play a physically and offensively dominating game like that. If they can do that the rest of the way through the playoffs, these Flyers are a force to be reckoned with.
Apr 21, 2014, 2:19 AM EDT
This has happened a few times in these playoffs.
Apr 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Apr 21, 2014, 1:28 AM EDT
This one could’ve gotten uglier than it did.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:47 AM EDT
Took this game over in the second period.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
Patrick Roy: “We’re going to be very smart about when he’s going to come back.”
Apr 20, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Was shaken up after taking a knee to the head.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Just another game between these two California rivals.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:34 PM EDT
Jon Cooper straddles the line between snarky and careful.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Tough breaks for Tampa Bay.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Remarkable … and risky?
Apr 20, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Kings hope to avoid two straight years of 0-2 first-round deficits.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s captain managed to return later in the game.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Classy gesture after 16 seasons with the Predators.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT
Not exactly an ideal start for Anders Lindback.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
He stopped 31 out of 33 in Sunday’s win vs. the Rangers.
Apr 20, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Can the Bolts get back in this series?
Apr 20, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
Milan Lucic scored a goal a game after that spearing incident.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
They are playing on opposite sides in the Detroit-Boston series.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
They’re down 2-0 to Montreal going into Game 3 tonight.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (147)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)