Apr 26, 2011, 6:12 PM EDT
If you’re looking for a one-stop source for PHT stories on tonight’s three games (plus a mini-preview for each), then you’re in the right place. As always, start times are according to Eastern Standard Time (ET).
For more general previews, check out the Versus video preview for the two Game 7 matches and Joe Yerdon’s Five Thoughts from this morning.
Boston @ Montreal (NHL Network) – 7 p.m.; Bruins lead series 3-2
The Bruins lost four straight elimination games while the Canadiens went 5-1 in elimination games in the 2010 playoffs, so Boston hopes that they can write a new script in 2011. Tim Thomas beat Carey Price in an amazing goaltending duel in Game 5; will both goalies find a way to match their last efforts or will this be a higher scoring game?
It would be tough for Boston to win three straight games in Montreal and four consecutive contests in this series, but that’s exactly what they’re going for. That journey will be marginally easier since David Dasharnais won’t suit up for the Habs.
Buffalo @ Philadelphia (Versus) – 7:30 p.m.; Series tied 3-3
Going with Brian Boucher in Game 7 will be a more comfortable proposition if Chris Pronger can be more effective than Game 6 (he only played four minutes – all on the power play – in that contest). It’s not even a guarantee he will play in this game, but knowing him, it would be surprising if he sat out. One player who won’t sit out is Mike Richards, even though the Flyers captain delivered a highly questionable hit on Tim Connolly.
History is simultaneously for and against the Flyers in this game. On the negative side, the last team that started three different goalies in one series lost that series. On the bright side, the Flyers are 8-6 in Game 7′s while the Sabres are a troubling 1-5.
Ryan Miller could make the difference, though, as he’s a strong performer in elimination games. The Sabres’ odds might be improved if Derek Roy can play at a reasonably high level in his first game since December. The rest of Buffalo’s injured players can be filed under “gametime decisions” so Philly isn’t the only team providing some questions going into this game. Connolly’s out, Jason Pominville is likely to miss the game and Jochen Hecht is a toss-up … but this is a Game 7, so do you ever truly know until the puck drops?
Chicago @ Vancouver (Versus) – 10 p.m.; Series tied 3-3
Obviously, the Canucks go into this game with the most pressure. They’re trying to avoid the dubious distinction of becoming the fourth team in NHL history to blow a 3-0 series lead. Even with GM Mike Gillis distracting some of the issue with a reasonable (but whiny?) complaint about officiating, the spotlight shines so brightly on Roberto Luongo that his psyche might burn. Let’s not forget the serious late-series slide by the Sedin twins and mostly negligible play by Ryan Kesler, either. Every player is under pressure in this game.
Even though they don’t have the same weight on their shoulders, the Blackhawks are still the defending Stanley Cup champions so there would be some disappointment if they came up short. Interestingly enough, this young team hasn’t been in a Game 7 before. In fact, the Blackhawks franchise hasn’t seen a Game 7 playoff game since 1995.
They’ll have to win tonight’s game – and whatever playoff contests that would follow – without Bryan Bickell, though.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)