Apr 25, 2011, 2:28 AM EDT
One of the lowlights in Game 6 between Buffalo and Philadelphia came when Flyers captain Mike Richards shoved Sabres forward Tim Connolly from behind putting him head first into the boards. Richards was given a two-minute minor for boarding and Connolly left the game with a head injury.
Given Connolly’s history with concussion problems, it’s hard to imagine that he’ll be in any shape to go in Game 7, especially with how teams are treating players with concussions. So what will the Sabres do to potentially fill Connolly’s shoes? They’ll call on a player they haven’t seen in months.
Derek Roy is set to make his return to the Sabres lineup for Game 7. For Roy it’ll mark his first game since late December when he went out of action with a injured quad. Roy was the Sabres leading point man last season and having him back in the lineup should give the Sabres offense a huge lift.
When it comes to Game 7s even the least healthy of players will try to find their way back in the lineup to help their team win. In Roy’s case, his comeback is a virtual necessity. With Connolly hurting and Jason Pominville out, those are two important players to their offensive production and they’ll need all they can get in Game 7 especially with Chris Pronger back for Philly.
Getting Roy out there with Tyler Ennis, Drew Stafford, and Thomas Vanek gives the Sabres more than a few viable options on the attack and with how this series is playing out, they’re going to need all they can get.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)