Apr 25, 2011, 2:28 AM EST
One of the lowlights in Game 6 between Buffalo and Philadelphia came when Flyers captain Mike Richards shoved Sabres forward Tim Connolly from behind putting him head first into the boards. Richards was given a two-minute minor for boarding and Connolly left the game with a head injury.
Given Connolly’s history with concussion problems, it’s hard to imagine that he’ll be in any shape to go in Game 7, especially with how teams are treating players with concussions. So what will the Sabres do to potentially fill Connolly’s shoes? They’ll call on a player they haven’t seen in months.
Derek Roy is set to make his return to the Sabres lineup for Game 7. For Roy it’ll mark his first game since late December when he went out of action with a injured quad. Roy was the Sabres leading point man last season and having him back in the lineup should give the Sabres offense a huge lift.
When it comes to Game 7s even the least healthy of players will try to find their way back in the lineup to help their team win. In Roy’s case, his comeback is a virtual necessity. With Connolly hurting and Jason Pominville out, those are two important players to their offensive production and they’ll need all they can get in Game 7 especially with Chris Pronger back for Philly.
Getting Roy out there with Tyler Ennis, Drew Stafford, and Thomas Vanek gives the Sabres more than a few viable options on the attack and with how this series is playing out, they’re going to need all they can get.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 25
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)