Apr 25, 2011, 9:45 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks leaned heavily on its big name players during the regular season, but a ragtag line of lesser-known players helped launch them into an improbable run to Game 7. Sure, Chicago’s biggest names made the biggest difference, but the line of Dave Bolland, Michael Frolik and Bryan Bickell scored some big points in this dramatic turnaround.
After a solid 37-point output during the 2010-11 season, Bickell has been a difference-maker in the team’s first round series against the Vancouver Canucks. He scored two goals and two assists for four points in five games, with a point in his last four.
Update: The Blackhawks announced that he will miss 6-8 weeks. Sami Salo‘s errant skate blade appeared to cut his wrist in Game 2, but after missing Game 3, he played in Games 4-6 anyway. He won’t play in that penultimate game after undergoing surgery on two tendons in that wrist, though.
It’s unclear who will take his spot in the lineup. While it’s a tough loss for Bickell and the Blackhawks, Chicago has been awfully resilient in this series. A typical playoff series takes around two weeks, so barring an unexpectedly quick recovery, he’s probably done for the postseason whether they repeat as champions or not.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)