Apr 25, 2011, 9:45 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks leaned heavily on its big name players during the regular season, but a ragtag line of lesser-known players helped launch them into an improbable run to Game 7. Sure, Chicago’s biggest names made the biggest difference, but the line of Dave Bolland, Michael Frolik and Bryan Bickell scored some big points in this dramatic turnaround.
After a solid 37-point output during the 2010-11 season, Bickell has been a difference-maker in the team’s first round series against the Vancouver Canucks. He scored two goals and two assists for four points in five games, with a point in his last four.
Update: The Blackhawks announced that he will miss 6-8 weeks. Sami Salo‘s errant skate blade appeared to cut his wrist in Game 2, but after missing Game 3, he played in Games 4-6 anyway. He won’t play in that penultimate game after undergoing surgery on two tendons in that wrist, though.
It’s unclear who will take his spot in the lineup. While it’s a tough loss for Bickell and the Blackhawks, Chicago has been awfully resilient in this series. A typical playoff series takes around two weeks, so barring an unexpectedly quick recovery, he’s probably done for the postseason whether they repeat as champions or not.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)